Salt buildup

Colbyt54

As the water from my tank evaporates, I’m noticing salt (I think) buildup on the rim of the tank. I’ve just been cleaning it off, should I keep doing that? Or should I put it back in the water?

2quills

Evaporation will cause salinity levels to go up.

Salt build up on the rim or salt creep as we call it can cause salinity levels to drop.

Best thing to do is invest in a refractometer and test your salinity levels weekly in order to tell when you should be adding salt or not.

HTH

Colbyt54

Evaporation will cause salinity levels to go up.

Salt build up on the rim or salt creep as we call it can cause salinity levels to drop.

Best thing to do is invest in a refractometer and test your salinity levels weekly in order to tell when you should be adding salt or not.

HTH
I have a salinity and I regularly test the salinity, and keep the tank topped off if it’s getting too low should I push some of that back in? Or just mix new salt water?

2quills

I have a salinity and I regularly test the salinity, and keep the tank topped off if it’s getting too low should I push some of that back in? Or just mix new salt water?
I've always just pushed a lot of it back in personally. Unless you have a really small tank I don't believe it makes much of a difference one way or the other.

Colbyt54

I've always just pushed a lot of it back in personally. Unless you have a really small tank I don't believe it makes much of a difference one way or the other.
Alright thank you, I have a 10 gallon so it’s pretty small, I’ll just keep checking it regularly and see what needs to be done from there

2quills

Sounds like a plan. 10g is generally on the small side for most saltwater tanks. I would try to avoid any chunks of undissolved salt from landing in corals if possible to keep from irritating them.