Salt Chart

jimlssc24

I was browsing the web and found this really Great Chart about Salt caparisons. I know that "What kind of salt I should use?" comes up allot.
Comparison Table of Primary Elements Contained in
Some Top Brand Name Sea Salt Mixes
Compiled by Debbie & Stan Hauter
Although there are other elements and compounds to evaluate when buying a sea salt mix, in this table we only address those considered to be primary. Refer to Marlin Atkinson and Craig Bingman's The Composition of Some Synthetic Seawater Mixes Report for more details on Buffer System Components in relation to pH factors (see Table II), Nutrients (see Table III), and Trace Elements (see Table IV). The codes in this table reflect our own interpetation of the test results from this report. Also keep in mind that since the tests were conducted, some manufacturers may have made changes to their formulas.
Color Key Codes
E = Relatively Equivalent • H = Relatively Higher
L = Relatively Lower
(+ or - added denotes slight higher or lower, but noticable different)
(* added denotes substantial difference)
Sea Salt Mix-->
Element
(Symbol)Instant OceanReef CrystalsCoralifeTropic MarinRed SeaKentSea ChemHW Marine Mix
Calcium
(Ca)
Test Results
LLELLEEL
Chloride
(Cl-)
Test Results
EEE+LEELE
Magnesium
(Mg)
Test Results
EE-H*LE+E+L**E
Potassium
(K)
Test Results
E-E-E-E-E-EE+E
Sodium
(Na)
Test Results
EEEE-EEEE+
Sulphur/Sulfate
(SO4:S)
Test Results
EEL*LELHE
Sea Salt Mix-->
Element
(Symbol)Instant OceanReef CrystalsCoralifeTropic MarinRed SeaKentSea ChemHW Marine Mix
Carbon
(C)EL**L***L*L*H***L***H
Boron
(B03)
Test Results
EH+H**L-HHH***E
Strontium
(Sr)
Test Results
H***EEEEEH***H**
Silicon/Silicate
View Table lll SiO3:Si
(**ICP Test Results)
H**H***H**H**H**H***H**H**
Sea Salt Mix-->
Element
Ionic
Nitrate
View Table lll NO3-:N
Test Results
H*H*H**H**H*H**H**H*
Phosphate
(PO4:p)
Test Results
L**H*H***H***H*EL*H**
Ammonia-
Nitrogen
(NH4+:N)
Test Results
H**H**H**E+H*H**E+H**

pyro

Wow, great information...
Needs to be put in an easy to read table, I'll see if I can find time today or tomarrow and try, but i'm not promising anything.
Sorry to poke around, but who are the 2 people? (Is the validity pretty good?)

ctgretzky9

here is an awesome pdf...gives tables and details of every trace and major element in salt mixes.
I tried to attach, but this crappy vbulletin is the only one in the world that wont let you attach a .pdf
:mad:
If anyone wants the report, ill email it
Thanks

milomlo

Originally Posted by ctgretzky9
here is an awesome pdf...gives tables and details of every trace and major element in salt mixes.
I tried to attach, but this crappy vbulletin is the only one in the world that wont let you attach a .pdf
:mad:
If anyone wants the report, ill email it
Thanks
I do - miketracyowens@entouch.net
Thanks

mudplayerx

I would like the pdf please.... no offence Jim, but your chart is frustrating me trying to figure out what is what. I am probably just a little slow lol.
email: mudplayerx@aol.com (please put SWF.COM in title so my junk mail filter doesnt trash it). Thanks!

chipmaker

Stan and Debbie are biologists or something like that, and live in Hawaii, and are guides (moderators) on the about dot com website. Its an ok board, but kind of barbaric in its use and folks get upset if you simply hit reply as replies go directly to whoever made the last post so it can get confusing......as to who said what and who asked what.....The info may be good, but site is cluttered and hard to find as it has tons of links scattered throughout that you need to follow, which makes things kind of inconvienient to find. I would trust the info they post, its no worse than other sites in regards to knowledge but its way behind the times.