Salt Mix and Phosphates

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Just to let you all know, as I've mentioned before, that Instant Ocean salt mix HAS PHOSPHATES!
A while ago I tested the water I was using, distilled bought at grocery store and got zero readings for nitrates and phosphates. When IO salt was mixed in, I got phosphate readings. Again, thinking that it might have just been a bad batch of salt, or whaterver, I did the test again last night and got phosphate readings.
Now, the reason I sometimes still us IO, is because it is the only salt that I can get at the 2 LFS where I live. I have bought RED SEA brand online and get zero readings and a lot less alage in my system. However, if I run out and haven't reordered, then I end up having to use the IO that I get here locally. When I exhaust my current supply, I will never use it again....as now I have a major green and red algae bloom going.
[IO advertises on their pakage no nitrates or phosphates!---don't believe it!]
Just to give all you all who have algae problems a heads up on this one!

mr . salty

GREAT,I just got a five gallon bucket full of the stuff. Can you use it to melt ice on your driveway????

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Salty, give it a test for phosphate yourself and see if you get the same results as I do. I use the DryTab test.
I have a lot of IO myself and am wondering if I should toss it. I think it really is the cause for my excessive algae blooms and prefer not to deal with this problem anymore. It might not effect other people's tanks, but with soooo many complaints about algae on the BB I have to wonder; and I know that IO is probably the most pop. mix and that most of us probably use it....I kinda put 2&2 2gether and come up with H2o+IO=PO=Algae!

jimi

Beth I can almost gaurantee you your algae problems lay elsewhere. I/O is the most widely used salt in the world. It is used by alsmost all successful aquarist.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Jimi, when I used Red Sea Crystals, which I had to order on line cause I can't get anything but IO at the LFS, the algae decreased significantly in my system. The minute I went back to IO, its back up again.
I use Dry Tab to test phosphate. Pre mix, I get zero reading using bottled distilled. Post mix with IO, I get .50. Using Red Sea, I got zero.
Hey, its just my experience and I just wanted to state it here because there are many posts from you all complaining of algae problems with no apparent reason for it--especially in FO non-reef tanks. And I know that IO is widely used, but how many of you all test your water after you've mixed it? Or do go on blind faith that the ad on the package says no phosphates or nitrates? Just my opinion, is all.
I would like to see those using IO test, though, to see if they get the same results. Perhaps it just me! [But I doubt it.]

mr . salty

I am doing a change tomorrow. I will test the mix and let you know what I get.I also have the dry tabs,but no color chart.I just Know the lighter the blue,the less the Phos.I know,I'll post a pic of the test tube with my new digital camera I got for christmas.
[This message has been edited by MR . SALTY (edited 12-23-2000).]

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Be sure to test your water before using the mix, then after, Salty...just to make sure you have an accurate reading on the salt.

mr . salty

I have tested my "start water" before,and like always it is ZERO(no blue) Phos,Nitrates,and copper.I did test it again though,and all is zero.I will be mixing in a couple hours.
[This message has been edited by MR . SALTY (edited 12-24-2000).]

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Salty, I read your message on the IO results you got, and posted a reply, but now something has happened to your message, as when Iclick on it, its not there anymore.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Good, Sammy, cause I have a whole bag of Reef Crystals that I haven't even opened, and I'm wonder if I should use it, toss it.

angelfish

I also use IO mix and noticed algae bloom in my FOWLR. In the beginning I thought it to be poor lighting but since I've upgraded I have even more. I'll test my water tomorrow and post here the results. I too got two new bags of IO and wonder if it should go back.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
All I can say is that I'm going thru the expense of buying bottled water that has no phosphates, so why pay for salt that has it? The objective is to decrease nutrients and we spend a lot of money on water and equipt to decrease nutrients in our systems....thus, I've made my last purchase of IO.
Glad to hear that the Reef Crystals is at zero, though, as I have a big bag of that. Let me see if I get a chance to test it this weekend.

porkypuffer

I TOO USE I/O AND HAVE GREEN ALGEA COVERING THE BOTTOM OF MY TANK THAT I CAN'T GET RAID OF. I CAN CLEAN THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK AND IT GROWS BACK IN TWO DAYS. I WAS JUST GETTING READY TO BUY MORE SALT, THINK I'LL GET RED SEA. DOES SWITCHING BRANDS AFFECT THE FISH? AND DOES THOSE PHOSPHATE TEST KITS WORK FOR FRESH AND SALT WATER?
THANKS GUYS AND GALS FOR ALL THE HELPFUL INFO. MAKE THAT REEF CRYSTALS, DAMN I TYPE SLOW.
[This message has been edited by PORKYPUFFER (edited 12-26-2000).]

rickt4du

Ok now I'm ticked. IO has phosphates? Dang, It says right on the box that it doesnt. I keep falling for their tricks. I spent hours digging in a new box looking to the percula clowns they have advertised on the outside of the box. I figured it was like Cracker Jacks. What a fool.

If IO is the cause of my hair algae bloom I'll jump for joy. That means I have found the problem and I will fix it.
...rick

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Sammy, I broke out the reef crystals today during my lunch hour and mixed it up to test with my dry tab.
Now the dry tab are tablets and they have not completely dissolved in the Reef Crystal test, but when the powdery tab sinks to the bottom of my vial, I get zero readings on the phosphate, unlike the IO...as I said before. However, if I shake it up and the undesolved tab is free-floating, I get trace phosphate [also when the powder sinks to the bottom of the vial, it is slightly blue, indicating phosphates]. Still, I think it is a better result than the IO, even though it is the same manufacture.
Paul, what is your reading on the Kent? I know that Red Sea sea salt has zero using dry tab, though it does not mix as fast, but it does mix eventually. Red Sea also claims that their salt comes from the RED SEA and isn't syntheic. It is not white either like other sea salts, but looks more like sand when it is wet.
I am beginning to believe more and more my original hypothesis that everyone's algae problems are more the sea mix [and tab water, of course] rather than anything else.
TEST your mixes, people, and lets see what's best. Without so much hair algae, our hobby will be so much the more enjoyable!