Salt Mixes.....What are you using????

acrylic51

Curious if anyone has used the D-D H2 Ocean salt mix.......From what I've read so far decent reviews.....Appears the mix does leave a sediment in the bottom of the mixing container, but other than that appears the numbers are in line....Anyone with experience using it?????

meowzer

I use IO reef crystals....I buy the 200g box and it comes with 4 50G sealed bags.....
So far I get decent results....and I like the individual bags.....To tell you the truth, I have never heard of the brand you mentioned

acrylic51

Lois.....your living a sheltered life....
I've always been a RC user, but have tried quite a few others.....Tropic Marin, Seachem, Kent.....and have always come back to RC, but they have swings in consistency IMO...... Actually IO has pretty consistent numbers.

2quills

That's the stuff my local place uses and sells. They propagate a lot of their own corals and seem to like it. I think I might give it a go once the 120g is up.

al&burke

My LFS is carrying the AquaVitro (probably spelt that wrong, I am thinking of giving it a try, I have about a 1/4 bucket left of IO reef crystals left.

acrylic51

I'm not trying to pick with you.....I'm just curious what it might test out right out of the box.....I'm curious!!!!!!!

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/388072/salt-mixes-what-are-you-using#post_3419877
I'm not trying to pick with you.....I'm just curious what it might test out right out of the box.....I'm curious!!!!!!!
The truth is I really don't remember.....I know we are supposed to test all the time.....BUT after testing and getting the sam thing over and over I kinda stopped

I wish you had asked this BEFORE I did the w/c tonight......LOL

1guydude

k i lied the 90gal jug might be $30-$40 but the bucket that makes 200gals....which i bought tonight cost me $72!

i get great parameters from it when i add it with the RO/DI water!

florida joe

We have to remember that what we are striving for in a salt mix is to come as close to the levels sustained in the ocean. That being said we have to remember that no matter what test results we get when testing a new batch of saltwater the readings will change as soon as we add this water to our tank when doing a water change. That being said below is a chart of the most common saltwater mixes in relationship to natural sea water

deejeff442

i use and love the aquavitro salinity.
best salt i have ever used.mixes fast and no residue ever.
ha joe i saw your other post first and wrote the same thing there.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///t/388072/salt-mixes-what-are-you-using#post_3420031
We have to remember that what we are striving for in a salt mix is to come as close to the levels sustained in the ocean. That being said we have to remember that no matter what test results we get when testing a new batch of saltwater the readings will change as soon as we add this water to our tank when doing a water change. That being said below is a chart of the most common saltwater mixes in relationship to natural sea water

Going by that chart I don't see any benefit going with reef crystals over the regular IO. Maybe a little extra silicate and boron, but also higher in phosphate.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/388072/salt-mixes-what-are-you-using#post_3419810
Curious if anyone has used the D-D H2 Ocean salt mix.......From what I've read so far decent reviews.....Appears the mix does leave a sediment in the bottom of the mixing container, but other than that appears the numbers are in line....Anyone with experience using it?????

I know someone who used this salt and he loved it. Don't know where to get it tho.
Personally, I use Reef crystals and sometimes the Reef Salt by seachem