Salt Mixes.....What are you using????

snakeblitz33

I've used 8 or 9 different brands of salt over the years... here are my findings:
It doesn't matter what you start and use. Keep your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium up, and dose an all inclusive trace element supplement such as kents essentials, and reduce nitrates and phosphates by scrubbers, protein skimmers, refugiums with macroalgae, liverock and flow, and medium-low bioloads. I'm leaning towards never having to do a water change on any system than ever before. Of course, you have to keep your salinity constant as well.

btldreef

I've found that using a good quality salt mix that works for your tank and doing regularly scheduled water changes has a better effect on my corals. For me, AquaVitro has provided me with the most stable numbers and best look and growth for my corals. That being said, not everyones tank is the same and there are numerous ways to do things in this hobby.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/388072/salt-mixes-what-are-you-using/200#post_3433326
I've found that using a good quality salt mix that works for your tank and doing regularly scheduled water changes has a better effect on my corals. For me, AquaVitro has provided me with the most stable numbers and best look and growth for my corals. That being said, not everyones tank is the same and there are numerous ways to do things in this hobby.
Absolutely agreed! There's more than one way to skin a cat!
If I were to set up my dream tank today, I'de either use AquaVitro or Tropic Marin.

S

siptang

WTH??? Reef crystals contains HIGH phosphate???????
Also there is no difference in anything really in between the regular instant ocean and the reef crystals so why are they double in the price?
I mean I'm not really complaining much after getting the salt for the price that I have gotten but still shocked at that graph. I'm thinking that it may be flawed.
My p04 did go up a bit high this week when I made the transition from coralife to rc though...
I just thought it was my phosphate remover had to be replaced due to my unusually high p04 level from before. (5)
I will do some independent experiment from this...
From Instant ocean website.
Quote:
Phosphate is essential for algae growth. In situations where algae are desired, phosphate can be added to the water. Most salt mixes today do not include phosphate in their formulas, although some in the past did list phosphate as an ingredient. Phosphate has been found to be readily available from other sources, such as food and tap water. Phosphate is not added to Instant Ocean® or Reef Crystals® sea salts.

luvmyreef

WAIT A MINUTE!!! Who or what said RC was high in phos?? Dang.....I will test the next batch of water and check for myself! Maybe that is my problem with this algae I am dealing with!!!

S

siptang

People on the web said that RC had inconsistent numbers but that was with practically every brand that was bought in bulk. (150g buckets)
yea.... I'm guilty of bulk buying and those are mine....
I have 3 more on the other side of the wall...
It's better to buy in smaller 50g bags like meowser and mix the batch thoroughly before mixing it in the RO/DI water. That way, you will get a proper mix of all the "elements".
I did find out from researching that you do get bit higher alk/cal rate with RC then regular IO.
My phosphate was 0.5 last week but was 2.5 this week. I was thinking that my overfeeding and my phosphate remover was leaking out phosphate was the culprit but I'm going to keep an eye on it now. I have done my first water change on Sat. night with RC and I just changed my phos. remover on Sunday evening so I will check by Sat. prior to the water change and Sunday evening after the water change and see if it's indeed the salt that's swinging my phosphate.

luvmyreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/388072/salt-mixes-what-are-you-using/200#post_3433374
Here's an interesting independent analysis done on synthetic salts. The phosphate data is about half way down the pdf. It would indicate that regular instant ocean contains on average .08 mg/L phosphates. And that Reef Crystals contains on average .04 mg/L. Some of the readings were all over the chart for some things.
http://www.aqua-medic.com/aquariumwatertesting/AWT_Salt_Analysis_0208.pdf
Thanks for posting the link. I use RC. I will be testing my water from now on. I had tested before for nitrates and phos, and both were zero. So, I don't know.

al&burke

Well I just did another 15 gal water change the other day, I can honestly say that my rics are looking really good, I started with 3 now they have spit into about 10. The open brain looks amazing, hammers are flurishing even since they host the clowns. The acros are going strong and the monti has never looked darker in color. Plusing xenia is pumping along trying to move to higher ground and any of the polyps I have a getting bigger by the week. Is it because of the aqua vitro IDK but something is working.

S

siptang

I haven't had a chance to check for water parameters but I will tomorrow night.
I just switched to RC last week so we will see how that goes.

meowzer

Well I am very disappointed.....I have not been able to find the salinty for under $158....I am NOT paying that much :( SO......I guess I have to get some other salt ordered
I'll have to go back to RC I guess

sweatervest13

I just found the Aquavitro at a LFS for like $65.00 (with the pet club discount that costs $10.00/year). I think that I will buy a bucket and give it a try. I will post results here.

deejeff442

really meowser? i wonder what slow shipping costs from me to you.next time i am at the post office i will ask.that sucks.i love this salt