Salt of choice?

speg

Going to switch away from this instant ocean salt due to the poor test results it's showing.
What salt do you guys really recommend (for a reef tank)?
Was thinking about going with Kent's salt.

speg

Ok....... So I have Instant Ocean.. which I guess 'secretly' claims to not have as much calcium as Reef Crystals (same company) even though Instant Ocean says it's comparable to natural seawater...
So does Reef Crystals have a calcium range of 400-450?
I may simply switch to Reef Crystals... but was also considering just keeping the salt I have and buying a calcium additive... not sure which way to go yet.

plumb4u2

I use only instant ocean and test regularly with api test kit my calcium is always over 400...I do not use any additives

pirates

i am going with instant ocean reef crystals, bought 400 gallon of the reef crystals going to try it i have to put calcium in my tank i do not think just the instant ocean is good maybe just for fish only tanks but not reef tanks

ibanez

I use red sea salt and never have any problems with calcium, mag, iodine, with consistent water changes.

rlablan

I posted on your letter thread as well...
I use reef crystals and I don't dose a thing. My tanks have really become something of beauty since I switched salts almost a year ago and tons of coraline too...
There was some important info about salt that I put in your other thread. Before really , really, deciding... you should read the short link that I provided on mixing salt for a tank. I think it could be helpful.

pezenfuego

I tried IO once and had the same results you did. The calcium level was incredibly low. I switched to Coralife after that. I chose it because it seemed to always be in supply and it was the result of tests which were in range. If you can, you should go for reef crystals. I can say that this is the only salt that I have NEVER heard anything bad about.

mrdc

I use Reef Crystals but I do dose with Seachems ca and alk due to not doing frequent water changes.

speg

Originally Posted by rlablan
http:///forum/post/3254644
I posted on your letter thread as well...
I use reef crystals and I don't dose a thing. My tanks have really become something of beauty since I switched salts almost a year ago and tons of coraline too...
There was some important info about salt that I put in your other thread. Before really , really, deciding... you should read the short link that I provided on mixing salt for a tank. I think it could be helpful.
I'll look into it.. thanks.
Have you tested your calcium when using reef crystals? Someone else on here just said they use it but found lower-than-expected results.

speg

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/3254658
I tried IO once and had the same results you did. The calcium level was incredibly low. I switched to Coralife after that. I chose it because it seemed to always be in supply and it was the result of tests which were in range. If you can, you should go for reef crystals. I can say that this is the only salt that I have NEVER heard anything bad about.
I was going to make the switch to Reef Crystals.. but then I just wanted to run away from the entire Instant Ocean company all together.. I'll see what Kent can do for me.