Salt Q's

I use instant ocean for my reef tank and I just ran out. I hear that its not the best brand. What would be a good brand to buy?
Also, I have had saltwater mixing with a powerhead and heater for a water change for about 5 days now. It's still good to use for my water change right? I mix salt in this trashcan for all my watercahnges but I've never let it mix for this long.
Thanks,

sman

First, I heard instant ocean is fine for FO or FOWLR, but its lacking some of the stuff good reefs need. Thats why they came out with instant ocean reef crystals, its supposed to be much better, personally, I just used my last bucket of Instant ocean (the regular kind) and bought a bucket of Tropic Marin, Im doing a change with it tonight, Ill see if anything looks better tonight after the change.
Second, your water is fine, its good to let it "age" for a few days, I usually let mine age for 2 days. But five wont hurt it at all.

Thanks sman. If I buy a different brand of salt can I do a complete water change with the new salt or should I gradually mix salts then completely switch to the new brand?

sman

I would think you can completely switch to the new stuff. Since there is already a bunch of the old salt in the tank (as long as your not doing a 100% water change, lol). The stuff I have mixing at home has 100% Tropic marin in it(ran completely out of IO), but im only doing a 10 gallon change on a 116 gallon system. Personally, I would use what you got till its gone, or mix it with your new stuff, just so you aren't wasting any, cause salt's expensive!

nordy

Originally Posted by Smellslikefish
http:///forum/post/2670268
I use instant ocean for my reef tank and I just ran out. I hear that its not the best brand. What would be a good brand to buy?
Also, I have had saltwater mixing with a powerhead and heater for a water change for about 5 days now. It's still good to use for my water change right? I mix salt in this trashcan for all my watercahnges but I've never let it mix for this long.
Thanks,
No problem leaving it mixed up that long, as long as you put some type of cover on it to keep dust, etc from settling in the tank and keep an eye on evaporation so the salinity doesn't creep up.

dragonzim

Been using Reef Crystals for about 3 years now. Switched from Tropic Marin, which was way more expensive

gweezpie

I used tropic marin pro reef but Reef Crystals are less than half and only $10-12 shipped from Fosters and Smith. Reef Crystals seemed fine in my large reef.