salt water and its colors!

rbmount

I've watched this post for days and no one will answer so here goes----so they will cost more!:p

polarpooch

aarone,
Good question! I wonder the same and have even looked for the answer.
Is it food? Is it the reef? Is it the SALT?!
Come on marine biology people...someone MUST KNOW!
Hehehe! I'll keep checking this post for answers, too!

Most saltwater fish have smaller scales so their color looks smoother and even as if it is painted on. Also different diets and the fact that they display bright and varying colors for identification to others of their species. Some are just brightly colored to say I am poisonous do not eat me or to say I'm a cleaner here I am. Also to blend in with their surroundings. The coral reef is a very colorful place. On the same note though there are some very colorful freshwater fish (chiclids, flowerhorns, Umbees, etc.) There are so many different reasons.

dreeves

I would think it has to do with the environement they originate from and blending in. As an example...look at a redspotted hawkfish quickly, his lines running up and down his sides will blend in with the light rays rolling on the bottom of the ocean.

jumpfrog

Tropical Fish Hobbiest (TFH) has had a series of articles over the last 2 months on fish coloration. Some of it way to technical to keep me awake. It appears that at the end of it all scientist "don't really have a clue" as to why they're so colorful.

balashark21

chris23 i have a boxer(dog) too!!! she is a 6 year old brindle boxer and she is the cutest thing in the world(hella spoiled too)