Salt

ecoman

i think the instant ocean dissolves faster then red sea. I dont know if there really is a difference in what the companies produce other then you dont want phosphates and nitrates, which most say they dont have on the bag.

xrayman

Oceanic here you will find a wide arangement of brands used here.I think it ends up being what works good for you.I used Instant ocean for over 5 years no problem got a deal on a bucket of oceanic and started using it and it has been fine for me IMO

my way

Do a search, there is one brand that the reef tank owners have been having some problems with lately and I'm sorry to say to those who posted above, I think it is the Instant Ocean brand, but I'm not 100% sure. I like to use Tropic Marin When I can find it. Like I said do a search to see if it is the IO that is the one with the problems.

milomlo

I have used Coralife, but it made my calcium really high. Right now I am using Oceanic and it helped my calcium some. But I read that some folks on here mix Oceanic and IO 50/50 and get perfect readings for PH, calcium, and alk. I have not tried it yet - so I am not sure.

O

oreo12

oceanic In reef tank what ever is on sale for the fish only tank. I picked up some kent for $8.99 fo a 50 gal bag the other nite.

littlebuck

if you go to petsmart you can go to there online store and print out the prices and they will match it at the stores so you dont need to pay for shipping. With taxes and everything its less then 35.00 around here thats cheap just letting you know

jerthunter

I like Kent sea salt, you can get a bucket for 200 gal fairly cheap and it seems to have better calcium levels then Instant Ocean...

purerebel

Hmm now the ***** here at Auburn Hills MI said no way everythings cheaper online. That's the price you pay, pointing at the tag she said..... Now I just ordered a 160gal bucket of IO from the 2 Dr's and there is no heavy weight charge, everything I bought including the IO shipping for $8.99.

littlebuck

but thats an extra 8.99 you dont need to spend. And a 160 gallon bucket is under 35.00 Saving an money in this hobby helps.

dme

As well, I use oceanic and I buy with Jeff ten or more at one time for this salt is not cheap and right now that he has to come out this way for a number of times, I have him get me more 200 gal pails of oceanic that I will have here as many that I can kept in stock for right now I have 16 buckets of oceanic.
Jeff for a time was selling it at his store, he switched from coralife salt which is much cheaper and now he only gets the oceanic in bucket numbers when I want to restock it.

oxbeard

I just did the same as purerebel. I was amazed that they didn't have a higher shipping charge. In my case even if the ***** pricematched, closest one is an hour and half drive away. All boils down to your circumstances I guess.

O

oreo12

yes it dose not take long to burn $9.00 in gas. I usaly use that in calgulating shipping cost. The best places for me to shop is a 90 mile round trip. at 20 miles a gal that is 4.5 gals at 2.25 a gal that is a $10.12 trip so I would save $1 having it shipped. So what I am tring to say is it could be smarter to have shipped other than running out and just buying it. But then you don't get to look at all the fish and corals they have as well. By having it shipped the temptaion of buy more corals and fish won't be there either.