salt

u mike

i am thinking about changing my brand of salt, what is the the best way to make a change from one to another.

fau8

It doesn't matter, Queston is why do you want to make the change? If you have a fish only set up I would use any name brand mix, if you are running a reef you can go higher end with salts that are enhanced with calcium etc. I have always used reef crystals and have not had any issues. I still don't know if I should be spending the extra money for the enhanced salt mix as most reef keepers are still going to add supplements based on the tank needs.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by u mike http:///t/390781/salt#post_3462300
i am thinking about changing my brand of salt, what is the the best way to make a change from one to another.
I think a little of your old brand, and a little of the original. I would do half of each and you should be fine. Increase the new on the next water change. That way you use up the old without waste, and switch up slowly.

u mike

tank is 8 years old, now am using reef crystals, it is a reef tank,tank size 65, with small amount of corals (mostly frags)
the reason i was asking about changing was the guy that takes care of my wifes tank at work ( lobster tank supermarket) told her to switch to coral pro red sea he recomends this very highly. that is why i was asking about the steps of changing.

manners

ive been using instant ocean but just recently started keeping sps, about a week ago i ran out and went with aquavitro salinity. i did a 20% water change the first day and noticed all the sps polyps where extending much more, since then ive done another 20% and everything is looking very happy with it. its more money but it works out to more gallons because it mixes to 1.025 where instant occean has a lower salinity concentration.

geoj

It doesn't matter, Queston is why do you want to make the change? If you have a fish only set up I would use any name brand mix, if you are running a reef you can go higher end with salts that are enhanced with calcium etc. I have always used reef crystals and have not had any issues. I still don't know if I should be spending the extra money for the enhanced salt mix as most reef keepers are still going to add supplements based on the tank needs.

+1 :t^: