Saltwater 10 gallon tank

Colbyt54

Hi! I’m new to this site and saltwater in general. I’ve kept 3 freshwater tanks and currently have two right now. I decided to setup my 10 gallon tank for saltwater. I’ve done lots of research to make sure I do it right but I still have some questions. When I’m trying to get my salinity just right. Is there a rule or thumb to add freshwater (after evaporation) to balance out the salinity? Also can I use the same type of water I put in my freshwater tanks or must it be distilled water? Thanks!

lmforbis

You need to use reverse osmosis deionized water for top offs and to mix your salt water. You can use distilled.

Colbyt54

You need to use reverse osmosis deionized water for top offs and to mix your salt water. You can use distilled.
I’ve got distilled right now, I’m not sure what RO/Di is, although I have heard of it, I haven’t paid much attention because I’ve seen distilled instead. Is it worth getting a ro/di system?

jay0705

Ro is basically tap water with everything in it removed. Its run thru multiple filters to result in just pure water

jay0705

Mine is a aqua fx barracuda. Its a 3 stage unit. They also make 5 stage units. Imo a 3 is plenty. You can also buy ro water at alot of lfs and walmart

Colbyt54

Mine is a aqua fx barracuda. Its a 3 stage unit. They also make 5 stage units. Imo a 3 is plenty. You can also buy ro water at alot of lfs and walmart
Alright, thanks! As of now I can get a gallon of distilled water for 79 cents and 5 cups of it takes my salinity down .001 and my salinity is at 1.026 so I need to get it down a couple more.

jay0705

Sounds rt. Thats the issue w small tanks. It takes very little to raise it. When i top off i use about 5 gallons lol

Colbyt54

Sounds rt. Thats the issue w small tanks. It takes very little to raise it. When i top off i use about 5 gallons lol
Yea I wish I could get a bigger tank but right now I’ve got a 55 gallon freshwater and a 5 gallon betta tank so I’m not allowed to get any bigger.

lmforbis

A single clown would be fine if it is an oscellaris. Other species won’t work in a 10. You could also put something like a clown goby or shrimp goby because they won’t interfere with the clowns territory, but nothing else. Snails would be good only one or two. too many and they will starve.

Colbyt54

A single clown would be fine if it is an oscellaris. Other species won’t work in a 10. You could also put something like a clown goby or shrimp goby because they won’t interfere with the clowns territory, but nothing else. Snails would be good only one or two. too many and they will starve.
Alright sounds good, thanks!