Saltwater turtles....

mattiej

It is illegal to sell, own, possess, or even harass any species of sea turtle in the United States. Even if you were able to find a source outside of the US, it would still be illegal to possess it within the US. Besides the legality of it, all sea turtles reach sizes much too large for any home aquarium. In short they would not survive in any home aquarium. While I was a biologist at NJSA, the green sea turtles at the aquarium were constantly being monitored for infiltration of the liver with excess fat. Even in a 750000 gallon tank they still were not getting the most exercice they need. In defense of the aquarium both turtles were brought there as injured young and have remained there as release is not practical.

saltfisher

Thanks for that info. I was not aware of the legal issues. I was watching TV the other night and they showed someone grabbing them as they hatched and made their way to the ocean. I was just wondering why I never heard of anyone having them. The aquarium here has two HUGE ones in the tank. They are so big I could probably ride it. LOL!! Those babies sure would look cool in my tank. So much for that idea. Thanks!
They were baby Loggerheads.
After reading that site I found out that they are endangered or threatened. I did not know that. I did know you can't screw with endangered animals though.

mattiej

Saltfisher, hope you don't think I was being an ass, it's just last year while on vacation in South Carolina, I saw a conservation officer giving a mighty hefty ticket to a family that had accidentally wondered into a nesting site. I have heard of pochers that have been arrested and inprisoned for the illegal taking of baby turtles. Believe me you are right not to screw around with endangered species. I too have seen shows were people were handling newly hatched turtles, most of these were researchers who had special permits to study nesting behaviors and to get a count for populational studies.
I know there are a few species of box turtles that make their homes in salt marshes and I do not believe they are protected, but I could be wrong. Unfortunately these are terristrial turtles and not suited to aquaria.

harlequin

I have rescued quite a few different turtles but i turn them over to a friend of mine who has a permit. Had a Diamondback Terrepin for a few days in one of my reef tanks, he did really good, but man my skimmer was messy. Turtles are extremely messy and not good, the only reason I kept him was because my friend was out of town and the turtle was injured, he did real good though and ate shrimp on the second day. My friend came back and took him and says he is doing extremely good. Diamondbacks while not a"sea" turtle persay are an estuary and can freely swim back and forth between fresh and saltwater, highly endangered though, if I would have been caught it would have been a $5000 fine and my boat regardless of my plans for him and the fact I rescued it from seagulls.