Saltwater vs Freshwater

oceankid

I post this thread because I want to learn from you (tank keepers).
Why should I choose saltwater instead of freshwater wherein freshwater are more cheap and environment friendly in terms of dumping water...?
Any ideas are welcome

pezenfuego

If you can afford it, go for saltwater. It is much more beautiful, complex, and fun. If you can't afford it or aren't up for a challenge, then go with freshwater. The fish aren't as beautiful (in general), plants aren't as cool as coral (imo), and there is going to be less interesting and varied organisms in a freshwater tank.
It's up to you. Saltwater is only better than freshwater by this forum's general consensus.

Originally Posted by OceanKid
http:///forum/post/3244766
Why should I choose saltwater instead of freshwater wherein freshwater are more cheap and environment friendly in terms of dumping water...?
Any ideas are welcome
You get what you pay for. In my opion Saltwater aquarium are much more rewarding than Freshwater and as long as the right equipment is being used they both require about the same amount of maintenance.

bang guy

I've recently started my first freshwater tank after more than 30 years of reefkeeping. My first impression of freshwater is very positive. It consumes MUCH less energy - less lighting and less waterflow which are the major consumers of energy.
I am finding it to be just as rewarding as reefkeeping but the variety is less. I agree with PEZ, it's up to you and your preferences.

aquaknight

Any freshwater fish doesn't come close to the beauty and intelligence of some saltwater fish.
With freshwater, there's no "what the heck is that?" Run to the ID section and start digging through it. Stomatella snail, sweet! Huge sponge, awesome! like there is with saltwater...

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3244929
Any freshwater fish doesn't come close to the beauty and intelligence of some saltwater fish.
With freshwater, there's no "what the heck is that?" Run to the ID section and start digging through it. Stomatella snail, sweet! Huge sponge, awesome! like there is with saltwater...
Malawi cichlids and discus do come close (but that is an opinion). However, if I had enough money for a nice discus tank, I could put it to better use making a reef.

blanquita

I have been doing freshwater for 15 years. With fresh water you can set it up and be done with it in a week. I just now started saltwater and its way better. I am so addicted and always adding new cool things. you can do some many different things with saltwater but it is crazy expensive and not just the livestock. You have to consider electricity!!! If you are in any way financially straped DONT do Saltwater. There are always bumps in the road and you have to put out lots of money here and there. If you really want to do a SW tank start a savings account and budget!!! Learn to do alot on your own and do tons of research. my tank has become a part time job, based on research I do.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/3244937
Malawi cichlids and discus do come close (but that is an opinion). However, if I had enough money for a nice discus tank, I could put it to better use making a reef.
Beauty is far more then just colors. Sure, something like a Red Inferno Discus is pretty attractively colored. But the way a large Queen angel effortlessly glides around the tank, her streamers flowing behind her.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3245104
Beauty is far more then just colors. Sure, something like a Red Inferno Discus is pretty attractively colored. But the way a large Queen angel effortlessly glides around the tank, her streamers flowing behind her.

http:///forum/post/3244937
Well isn't this a dumb argument? We aren't even disagreeing about anything.

flower

I kept freshwater fish for 30+ years. To be honest, I had small children and couldn’t afford a saltwater tank. I love both, but prefer the saltwater.
Saltwater is more expensive, but in my opinion easier to maintain. Critters do the cleaning up of algae for you, and instead of a full tank break down for water changes I can now do just 20%. No vacuuming the sand and the fish while more expensive and delicate are hands down more beautiful. Saltwater fish do weird stuff, not just swim (like a sand sifting goby)
I love fish tanks; I don’t think my home is complete without one. With freshwater tanks, I could set up a water change on the same day I wanted to do it, but then I had to put my fish in buckets..Scrub all algae off of everything and vacuum the substrate..Then add the water back in. My poor back. It was an all day job…a total breakdown cleaning was only done 2Xs a year. Otherwise I removed a little over half, leaving my fish in there and then changed the water. Scrubbing algae off décor was a weekly chore to keep it looking nice, live plants were great but the fish ate and uprooted them all the time. They did get expensive to replace so I had fake decor for those between times.
With saltwater I have to plan, because I have to get enough RO water (with my unit, that takes 2 days) then I have to mix the salt in, then get it the right SG, then I have to let it sit and churn over night to mix. THEN I can do my water change, but it is fast and easy at that point.
I have a reef tank and lights are the life of the coral, bad/broken bulbs, means it is time to panic before everything dies. In a freshwater tank..If the lights break the fish are happier, the lights were for me to see my fish, and they don’t NEED them to live.
With a saltwater tank, gone are the days of $3.00 fish and .79 by the dozen, I would take the kids to the store and let them choose a fish. The cheapest saltwater fish I ever got was $18.00 and I had to become a marine biologist/chemist to figure out what can get along with what, and what temp, SG, and nitrate levels they all can tolerate. Hey..I think I am smarter now, another plus.
In a freshwater tank..I knew what was in there. If I didn’t put it in, it was not in there. However the tank would never change, it was always the same day in and day out. It may have been boring to some, but I loved it.
In a Saltwater tank..Live rock has more weird life than you can shake a stick at. Every day I can look and see something new or growing, then the search to find out if it is an okay thing, or get it out of there fast thing. A lady once told me, if I see something I don’t like in a saltwater tank, wait a week..It will change on its own. Which adds to the interest for me, never a dull moment, I have a bad heart and I really am not sure if that’s a good thing..LOL

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3245196

I kept freshwater fish for 30+ years. To be honest, I had small children and couldn’t afford a saltwater tank. I love both, but prefer the saltwater.
Saltwater is more expensive, but in my opinion easier to maintain. Critters do the cleaning up of algae for you, and instead of a full tank break down for water changes I can now do just 20%. No vacuuming the sand and the fish while more expensive and delicate are hands down more beautiful. Saltwater fish do weird stuff, not just swim (like a sand sifting goby)
I love fish tanks; I don’t think my home is complete without one. With freshwater tanks, I could set up a water change on the same day I wanted to do it, but then I had to put my fish in buckets..Scrub all algae off of everything and vacuum the substrate..Then add the water back in. My poor back. It was an all day job…a total breakdown cleaning was only done 2Xs a year. Otherwise I removed a little over half, leaving my fish in there and then changed the water. Scrubbing algae off décor was a weekly chore to keep it looking nice, live plants were great but the fish ate and uprooted them all the time. They did get expensive to replace so I had fake decor for those between times.
With saltwater I have to plan, because I have to get enough RO water (with my unit, that takes 2 days) then I have to mix the salt in, then get it the right SG, then I have to let it sit and churn over night to mix. THEN I can do my water change, but it is fast and easy at that point.
I have a reef tank and lights are the life of the coral, bad/broken bulbs, means it is time to panic before everything dies. In a freshwater tank..If the lights break the fish are happier, the lights were for me to see my fish, and they don’t NEED them to live.
With a saltwater tank, gone are the days of $3.00 fish and .79 by the dozen, I would take the kids to the store and let them choose a fish. The cheapest saltwater fish I ever got was $18.00 and I had to become a marine biologist/chemist to figure out what can get along with what, and what temp, SG, and nitrate levels they all can tolerate. Hey..I think I am smarter now, another plus.
In a freshwater tank..I knew what was in there. If I didn’t put it in, it was not in there. However the tank would never change, it was always the same day in and day out. It may have been boring to some, but I loved it.
In a Saltwater tank..Live rock has more weird life than you can shake a stick at. Every day I can look and see something new or growing, then the search to find out if it is an okay thing, or get it out of there fast thing. A lady once told me, if I see something I don’t like in a saltwater tank, wait a week..It will change on its own. Which adds to the interest for me, never a dull moment, I have a bad heart and I really am not sure if that’s a good thing..LOL
You are supposed to do partial water changes with freshwater tanks. If you don't, you can disrupt the cycle.

btldreef

To me, there is just no comparison between a reef tank, a fish only SW tank, a fish only FW tank, a FW tank w/ plant life and a cichlid tank. If I could, I'd have one of everything. They're all very unique in their own ways.
The one thing I will say, freshwater is far easier than a reef tank and far less expensive.

flower

http:///forum/post/3245214
You are supposed to do partial water changes with freshwater tanks. If you don't, you can disrupt the cycle.

30+ years and the above is what I did. Back then the web didn't exist. I read like maybe two fish books (I remember a Fish Bible) When I was 15, my first paycheck went on a 10g tank. LOL…I thought my 55g was a big tank.
Freshwater fish are very forgiving when it comes to mess ups and just plain ignorance (me). In spite of it all, my tanks always looked beautiful, and I had fish that grew old. I must add..I never overstocked my tanks. The most fish I had in my 55g was 5 fish. In the 2 30g long tanks I kept 2 fish in each one. I liked the beauty of the tank, the fish were for movment and added beauty. So they were not one of those overcrowded community tanks.
A saltwater tank requires lots of reading and research or it hasn’t got a chance. Perfect water is a must. On water changes….I know a guy with a 26 yr old reef tank who never did a water change to date. I am not that brave, once a month WC is on my to do list.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3245234

30+ years and the above is what I did. Back then the web didn't exist. I read like maybe two fish books (I remember a Fish Bible) When I was 15, my first paycheck went on a 10g tank. LOL…I thought my 55g was a big tank.
Freshwater fish are very forgiving when it comes to mess ups and just plain ignorance (me). In spite of it all, my tanks always looked beautiful, and I had fish that grew old.
A saltwater tank requires lots of reading and research or it hasn’t got a chance. Perfect water is a must. On water changes….I know a guy with a 26 yr old reef tank who never did a water change to date. I am not that brave, once a month WC is on my to do list.
For some tanks water changes aren't a necessity.
The thing about freshwater is that even if you are clueless as to what you're doing, you can be successful.
So you get 10 ppm of ammonia and lose your fish...if you keep adding more, they will eventually stop dying.
So a tank, water, filter, decoration, and fish put all together all at once will work...you will just lose some fish in the process.
If done without research, I'm sure a lot of people would set up a "reef" with tap water, morton salt, and rocks from their back yard.
I forgot what I was trying to say.
Eh whatever.

hunt

IMO, if you get freshwater, get something like a discus, those are my favorite freshwater fish.

oceankid

yes Dicus are sweet!
If I'm new to aquariums, is it advisable to go for saltwater? I have a fish tank but don't know much about it...

pezenfuego

http:///forum/post/3245348
yes Dicus are sweet!
If I'm new to aquariums, is it advisable to go for saltwater? I have a fish tank but don't know much about it...
Before you can decide that, research everything. Come up with a plan and cross check your budget. When you have researched everything for a month or two, you can answer that question for yourself.

defcon11

http:///forum/post/3244766
Any ideas are welcome
It all comes down to different strokes for different folks. Personally, I own both fresh and salt, and I love both of my tanks equally. I don't elevate one medium over the other; they are both unique and offer their own rewards.