SaltyGermans 240 Gal Reef Tank Project

saltygerman

Well okay here is the first pic of the 240 project that is bringing back to saltwater. I have been asking alot of questions here lately and probably annoying several of you, but I don't want any regrets with this one.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

S

smallreef

Looking good! what are your ideas for lighting, filtration, and inhabitants...

acrylic51

Looks very good.....Only 1 question....Have you thought about the maintenance part of the system.....The canopy seems kind of restrictive....

saltygerman

I think I will be attempting an LED build. I have been following Snakes progress. I have a 55 gallon sump for filtration. I am going to add something... not sure what yet for a large refugium. The tank will have a deep sand bed. Inhabitants are still up in the air. I'm really taking my time with this one. Probably won't be ready for inhabitants till after the first of the year. I am open for suggestions on every part.

saltygerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/393236/saltygermans-240-gal-reef-tank-project#post_3496904
Looks very good.....Only 1 question....Have you thought about the maintenance part of the system.....The canopy seems kind of restrictive....
Yes have definately taken maintanence into consideration. The canopy is actually surrounded with doors and lifts off (with a little help). If it becomes to much of a nuisance factor it will be ditched and I'll suspend the lighting. I really do appreciate the input. The doors on the canopy will lift up and lock into place and then lift again to close.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltygerman http:///t/393236/saltygermans-240-gal-reef-tank-project#post_3497041
I think I will be attempting an LED build. I have been following Snakes progress. I have a 55 gallon sump for filtration. I am going to add something... not sure what yet for a large refugium. The tank will have a deep sand bed. Inhabitants are still up in the air. I'm really taking my time with this one. Probably won't be ready for inhabitants till after the first of the year. I am open for suggestions on every part.
Yeah, I'm not doing an LED build anymore. The reason was cost - and I feel like fixtures will be better within the next three years, so I am holding off and going with T5s for the time being - so don't hold your breath waiting on me to finish my build.
Looks like you got a pretty good start. Looking forward to progress pics.

saltygerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/393236/saltygermans-240-gal-reef-tank-project#post_3497048
Yeah, I'm not doing an LED build anymore. The reason was cost - and I feel like fixtures will be better within the next three years, so I am holding off and going with T5s for the time being - so don't hold your breath waiting on me to finish my build.
Looks like you got a pretty good start. Looking forward to progress pics.
Guess I should read the dates a little better on older threads.LOL. I'm still early in the process, but really eyeing LEDS. I think, if I'm not mistaken,(but probably am) that for about $600 the lights can be built. Not sure that that would include the controller, but I will keep you posted.