Same Problem and nothing is going right!

littlej2455

Hey guys,
I have a 125 gallon with only fish. The tank has been set up for probably over a year and a half now. It has been going very smoothly. Recently though, about a month or so (maybe a little longer), I have been running a nitrite level at 0.25. My nitrates were at 30, but I was able to get this to go down to zero by adding in some bacteria into the tank (some chemical that my LFS recommended for me to try). I usually do 10% water changes every week. But just last week I preformed 2 10% water changes back to back days. I have always started to feed the fish a little less. I make sure that all the food is eaten and nothing just sits around in the tank. After testing my water today, I am still running a 0.25 for my nitrites. My biological filtration system is just the typical wet/dry sump with bio-balls. I haven't had a problem with nitrites before so I thought they were doing a good job. How do I get this level down? What am I doing wrong? I am all out of ideas.

fau8

First for a fish only there is no reason to be concerned with that level of nitrate. In a fish only any level below 25ppm is acceptable and others will tell you anything below 40. What is your substrate if it is crushed coral there is your problem. You will need to clean it by stirring up 1/3 of your sand bed at atime and doing a water change. Your bio balls may also be the source if they are holding debris. I would remove them and add live rock to the sump.
Any chance of converting to a refugium? That would eliminate your problem entirely.

spanko

I believe the OP, unless a mistake, is talking about Nitrite not Nitrate.
Have you verified your reading? Take a sample of water to the LFS and have them test for nitrite. I would suspect bad reagent in the test kit at this point.

salt210

use a gravel vac with the CC that way it wont put that mess into the water column. Have you cleaned the bio-balls off? what about the filter pad these things above the bio-balls, when was the last time it was changed?

littlej2455

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3074175
I believe the OP, unless a mistake, is talking about Nitrite not Nitrate.
Have you verified your reading? Take a sample of water to the LFS and have them test for nitrite. I would suspect bad reagent in the test kit at this point.
I have had the test kit for probably text years now. Do they go bad? And Yeah I replace the filter pad frequently. And I move around the sand probably about every month.

littlej2455

Originally Posted by jp30338
http:///forum/post/3074424
Well, there's your problems.
1. replace your test kits
2. Do NOTdistub your sand bed
I only move the sand bed where my power heads have clumped up the sand. Is that not ok or should I never touch the sand?

jp30338

Ok, well that should be fine, since its a 125g. I do the same thing at times. I thought you meant you stir the entire sand bed up!

littlej2455

Originally Posted by jp30338
http:///forum/post/3074489
Ok, well that should be fine, since its a 125g. I do the same thing at times. I thought you meant you stir the entire sand bed up!
Oh no. I am going to buy another test tomorrow and I will post the results.

mantisman51

In Az, local water companies have to send out yearly water test results. I got mine yesterday. Nitrites were tested at .55 minimum and 1.1 maximum. Nitrates were .25 minimum and .75 maximum. Strange thing is, the report said it was from "the natural release of minerals in the ground". 1) When you get the new test, test your tap water. 2) Does that report make as little sense to anyone else as me?

wattsupdoc

i highly suspect your test kit also. However it is believed that nitrites are not nearly the issue that it has been believed to be in a saltwater environment.if you are not having any issues I wouldnt be concerned too much. get new test kits! Additionally, depending on your sb depth and life, you should partially stir it. Clean your bioballs a few at a time with water changes. A gravel vac is fine but use care not to stir too much and not allow any junk to enter the water column. Syphon breifly after the vaccum hasbeen extracted from the bed. Do not stir a dsb, generally 4-6in deep.

littlej2455

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/3074892
i highly suspect your test kit also. However it is believed that nitrites are not nearly the issue that it has been believed to be in a saltwater environment.if you are not having any issues I wouldnt be concerned too much. get new test kits! Additionally, depending on your sb depth and life, you should partially stir it. Clean your bioballs a few at a time with water changes. A gravel vac is fine but use care not to stir too much and not allow any junk to enter the water column. Syphon breifly after the vaccum hasbeen extracted from the bed. Do not stir a dsb, generally 4-6in deep.
I just got a new test kit and it came out to being around 0.20. So it is a little better, but not down to zero. I have 130 pounds of sand, so it gives me around 3 inches deep of sand, some spots 4 inches because of my power heads. I did use Para-Guard a little over a month ago too, which I know also can result in high nitrites and nitrates but I think all of the Para-Guard should be out of the tank because of all of the water changes.

littlej2455

Since sponges take in uneaten food and oxygen in the tank, could they potentially lower the nitrite an nitrate levels in aquariums? Could this help?
And if I have a fish that is considered "not reef safe" does that also mean it will not be safe with a sponge? I have a foxeface lo, niger trigger, and a puffer. Those are the fish that I would be worried about.
Just an idea.