Sand added to existing tank

raymac

New tank, 150, first LR, 50 lbs was added last week, some critters on the rock....a few feather dusters, at least one fan worm, a snail, a small clam.
I put in last night, 150 lbs of South Down, 60 lbs of Aragonite, and 20 lbs of live sand.
Problem today, is all of the dust. I double washed everything I put in, but tons of dust still in the tank. I expected this, but there's also a lot of dust on the rock.
Do I go in and lightly swish or turn the rock upside down to get the dust off? I've heard from this BBS that the dust is OK, but I'm concerned with the amount that is actually on the rock.....
Advice??? Thanks for your help, Ray

raymac

JToliver,
Nope I didn't wash the live sand......
I figure the feather dusters are used to having sand all over them in the ocean also, so I'd guess that they know how to take care of themselves....so thanks for the reply...
Ray

fshhub

GET A NEW TURKEY BASTER
teh sand will not hurt the rock and inverts, but you don't want it to lay on your inverts
NOT sure from personal expeience, but I have heard, and took the steps to prevent it, but heard that the dust covering them can smother them, so anyhow, just use a turkey baster and gently blow off the dust, it may stir some more up , but it will resettle and is better than taking any chances IMO HTH

fshhub

oh yeah, for future reference, if you have ls or an extablished dsb, you should add the sand slower, no more than one inch at a time, on top of live substrate, you can smother that too(the dets and bacteria), it needs to be able to get to the surface