sand dollar

ric maniac

I've been wondering this, can sand dollars be kept in the home aqarium? I'm assuming no because I've never heard it talked about on other forums.
And what exactly are they? are they sea urchins? snails? starfish??
-Dirk

R

reefernana

I have a shell of one in my tank I got from Ocean Beach in San Francisco. It was gently boiled clean several years ago and then I cleaned and soaked it in salt water before I put it in my tank at it's beginning, so it cycled with everything else. I've never heard of them being found alive so I highly doubt that if you could find one, that it would live in a home aquarium.
Here's what they are:
"Sand dollars are from the class of marine animals known as Echinoids, spiny skinned creatures. Their relations include the sea lily, the sea cucumber, the star fish and the sea urchin."

sluggo

My brother found a reef that was full of them in Port St. Joe Florida. We were scalloping there. They were only in about 10 to 12 feet of water. We both dove down and got a few as souveniers. We bleached them out and I still have a few for decoration. Sand Dollars would probably not be very interesting in an aquarium as they stay buried in the sand. You can spot them on the bottom of the sea because of the little mounds of sand above the holes in the sand dollar. Whats interesting is if you crack open a dried sand dollar you will find what appears to be little white doves inside. By the way there is an outfit down in the Florida Keys that sells Sea Biscuits live. I believe that they are in the same family as Sand Dollars but are a little bit thicker. Might be good sand sifters.
Don

ophiura

They are sea urchins and NOT in any way suitable for a typical tank, IMO.
First off, many species are dependent on having SILICIOUS and not CALCAREOUS sand, so you would need to do some serious research on species.
The size of sand particles is important, as is sand depth. Healthy sand dollars will burrow at an angle and will not really be seen...again depending on species. IMO they are very poor choices and long term success is unlikely.

ophiura

Originally Posted by reefernana
I've never heard of them being found alive so I highly doubt that if you could find one, that it would live in a home aquarium.

If you go to Monterey Bay Aquarium they have a system that is set up and dedicated to sand dollars (below). For the right species, with research and the right tank, it can be done...
But not as another animal in a standard reef tank. They fall into the specialized species tank scenario...and for a species tank would be exceedingly boring

dallas612

I've never heard of them being found alive so I highly doubt that if you could find one
i used to catch them alive all the time in florida as a kid.

mie

When i took my family to texas a few years ago for vacation we went to south padre island in the gulf, and standing in knee deep water you could feel them all around you trying to go under the sand, very easy to catch but i think would be a boring addition even if you could add them

florida joe

you can get all you want just off any beach in naples florida but the price is a little high $250 per for any live one the beach patrol catches you taking

R

reefernana

Originally Posted by ophiura
If you go to Monterey Bay Aquarium they have a system that is set up and dedicated to sand dollars (below). For the right species, with research and the right tank, it can be done...
But not as another animal in a standard reef tank. They fall into the specialized species tank scenario...and for a species tank would be exceedingly boring

Yes, I saw them at the aquarium in Monterey, I just don't think the normal individual could get them off of a beach here in California. Dead, yes, and they're all over the beaches. But, all of you from Florida and Texas that live on the coast, it's very different than the coast of California. The surf is way too dangerous and way too cold. Naturally, I'm not talking about the beaches down in SoCal, I'm talking about most of the other beaches here. That's why I said I don't believe it's possible. I've been to Ft. Myers Beach, Sanibel, Captiva, Naples and others, and saw millions of shells but I don't remember any sand dollars. But, with all of the others I saw I wouldn't doubt that they would be abundant, too.

b bauer

Originally Posted by florida joe
you can get all you want just off any beach in naples florida but the price is a little high $250 per for any live one the beach patrol catches you taking
I was at the beach near 5th ave this year and they were showing how to catch and bleach then paint them at a kids event.they said they fell under the shell fish law and only allowed to keep 2

ophiura

Originally Posted by b bauer
I was at the beach near 5th ave this year and they were showing how to catch and bleach then paint them at a kids event.they said they fell under the shell fish law and only allowed to keep 2

Ugh. This was not a story to hear. Hey, kids, go kill some animals (probably by dunking in bleach!!?!?!) and paint them. Its tragic enough, in my book, that there is a whole industry that catches and dries out these animals for decor and souvenirs...they should go to the local shell shop and get them there, and leave the local one's alive and alone in my book. But that is a different issue altogether

florida joe

Yes, I saw them at the aquarium in Monterey, I just don't think the normal individual could get them off of a beach here in California. Dead, yes, and they're all over the beaches. But, all of you from Florida and Texas that live on the coast, it's very different than the coast of California. The surf is way too dangerous and way too cold. Naturally, I'm not talking about the beaches down in SoCal, I'm talking about most of the other beaches here. That's why I said I don't believe it's possible. I've been to Ft. Myers Beach, Sanibel, Captiva, Naples and others, and saw millions of shells but I don't remember any sand dollars. But, with all of the others I saw I wouldn't doubt that they would be abundant, too.
walk out a few feet do the sting ray shuffle if there are any laying in the sand and feel around with your toes you will feel more sand dollers then you can count

jessica47421

Originally Posted by ophiura
Ugh. This was not a story to hear. Hey, kids, go kill some animals (probably by dunking in bleach!!?!?!) and paint them. Its tragic enough, in my book, that there is a whole industry that catches and dries out these animals for decor and souvenirs...they should go to the local shell shop and get them there, and leave the local one's alive and alone in my book. But that is a different issue altogether

totally agree

florida joe

Originally Posted by b bauer
dont know where you heard that two will cost you $500. if the beach patrol gets you

mags410

they are this circular round shape and some if u look up on google u can find pictures and learn about them some a beautiful flower print i think some dont. currently i was at the beach in jeckll island in goergia where the atlantic ocean is and i found a sand dollar i have it in a bowl with some of the water from the beach but i still trying to figure out how to take care of it. honeslty i dont know where else u can find sand dollars. if u found or bought a sand dollars to tell if they r breathing the furry side of them are moving aroung and thats how u know theyre alive s yea and im sorry for writing this much so yea
bye bye