sand from walmart

I used Quikrete 50 Lb. Play Sand from Lowes. But not by itself. I also added 40lbs live sand, and about 10lbs from another setup. It is doing wonderful, no problems and my soft shell crab loves it he won't come out of the sand. The 2 types of sand where different colors so if you don't mix it together then you will see a difference. Ours is mixed in and nobody knows the difference.
It didn't give us any problems at all the live sand caused more problems than the play sand. But everybody has a different opinion on this subject.

sjimmyh

I always read that the silicates in the play sands will cause diatom problems, but if someone has experience that says otherwise... hey, what do i know?

weberian

Buy one bag only and test it. Pour white vinegar into a cup of the sand and if it bubbles like crazy, then it is calcium-based sand is OK to use. I did this but the sand might have been a combination of many types of sand - I did get a lot of diatoms but at the same time it just could've been new-tank reason. I do NOT have a DSB.