Sand sifter star ?

ohioreef

I have a sand sifting starfish. After reading posts on this site, I've decided that he needs to go.
My wife has a 20g with CC, can the sandsifter live in a tank with CC?

houseplant

what is the negitive of these stars? are they worth having in a large reef tank? dont the rock at keeping the sub clean of alge and stuff?:notsure:

dburr

The problem with them is that they eat all your pods in no-time. Pods you want.:yes:

pat zeller

I spoke to someone once about sand sifting stars depleting all the pods in the sand bed, he did not agree. He said that they move so slowly and it would not be possible for them to control the pod population. Do they effect the sand bed so that the pods won't multiply or do they simply ingest the pods?
I'm by no means and expert, just would like to know the extent of the impact of sand sifting Stars.
Thanks

bigarn

Sandsifting stars will deplete the critters in the substrate. CC stars aren't reef safe. :D

dburr

He said that they move so slowly and it would not be possible for them to control the pod population. Do they effect the sand bed so that the pods won't multiply or do they simply ingest the pods?
I too, am no expert, but, if your tank is big enough, 1 prolly wouldn't eat all of the pods. In a 75, i'd say it's just a matter of time before their all gone. If you had 1 in a 6 foot tank, the pods would prolly keep up.(just don't get a mandarin)

bot587

don't get a sand sifting star, nassarius snails do the same thing without killing pods and other critters.

saltyrich

There are plenty of options for livestock to replace the starfish. The info you received is definatively wrong about the starfish not depleting your pods. He will do it and do it in a hurry. Nevertheless, you can replace him with beneficial critters like fighting conchs, nassarius snails, and cerith snails that will keep your sand clean without disturbing the microfauna.

houseplant

my reef tank is about 6 months old. still have not seen pods? how do i get them to start and where can i get a starter batch, i would of thought that they would have been on my live rock but i guess not.

euphoria

I've had this problem myself.
I had lots of pods in the tank, and then got a sandsifter to clean my substrate. My pods slowly disappeared and I only have some in my overflow box, where the sandsifter star can't get to.
LFS told me that the SS star is too slow to catch pods, whereas some of you disagree. This is very confusing indeed. I'm planning to just take the SS star back and see if pods come back. This will verify the mistery :D

tmichel

I've had my ss star for about 8 months and I have too many pods. I don't know how they reproduce, but my pods only stay in the live rock never in the sand. Can some explain how they would eat pods?

euphoria

I asked a different LFS guy yesterday about pods, and he said that the problem w/ me is that I have only large pieces of LR. He said the pods don't have too many places to hide and the fish eat them.
He told me to buy smaller pieces of rock and put them around the bigger ones, and more tightly together, so that the pods can populate safely w/out fish being able to get to them
Does this sound logical to you guys?

mgalyk

I have had a sand sifting starfish in my tank for about a year and I have plenty of pods. :notsure:

dburr

I have had a sand sifting starfish in my tank for about a year and I have plenty of pods.
To clear you up a bit, you may have alot of pods roaming your tank, but the fauna that lives in your sandbed is what we are talking about. Some bury themselves or make trails, you may see them on the side of your glass if you have a DSB.

mgalyk

What is fauna? I am Relatively new to Salt water. Also do you think it would be benefical to my Manderin if I move my SS starfish to my other tank? 12 gal. Thanks for any info