sand sifter

goldy222

I'm trying to find a fish that's good for sifting through sand in a reef aquarium. I've heard the orange spotted sleeper goby is good for this, but am unable to come across one. Does anyone know of any other goby's or other type fish that would be good for this purpose?

keitho

well, golden headed sleeper gobies are also sand sifters, but they're relatively hard to keep. i have a banded sleeper goby (or banded goby) in my 100 gallon and he does a good job sifting the sand. i believe he even eats some of the brine shrimp and mysis shrimp i feed regularly (although i haven't actually seen him). IMO, they are hardier than golden heads, but of course the tradeoff is that they're not as pretty. hope this helps :)

adrian

Most if not all snad sifting gobies can be very hard to keep if they are not eating prepared foods and/or they are not provided a large mature live sand bed from witch to feed. They sift sand looking for their natural food source, this food source is composed of critters like pods, which you want, and if the sand bed is not large enough the sifter can soon decimate the population and then starve :( Why do you feel you should have a sand sifting gobie? Is there something growing on your sand?

goldy222

I'm having a problem with algae growing on my sand bed and was hoping a goby could turn the sand bed to prevent the growth