sand sifting animal

40 galons

i am thinking of something that will stirr the sand in my tank i have half aragonite and crushed coral its about 2 1/2" deep. i was thinking maybe there is somthing that i can get to stirr the sand a little i already have a dimond sand sifter . is this enough? or is there something else that i could get that would be a little better?

reefiness

you mean the orang diamond watchman goby? if thats the one you have then you will not need anything else.
they are amazing workers. you just need to give them time but after being in the tank a few months then they really begin to pick up the pace.
i have only one of these in my 90 gallon tank 6 sq ft of LS and he does it all by himself. id say he sift the whole tank about 3 times in one day (10hrs)

R

reeffer

i have a pistol shrimp and a pink stripe watchman that move about every inch of my six foot 135, i have to add that they are very funny to watch together. the goby is supposed to be the tough one but the shrimp wears the pants

dgott2000

certainly get a sandsifting starfish...you wont see him much because he will always be burried but they do an amazing job of cleaning the sand and eating excess food/waste. they are a must for nearly any tank and they are pretty cheap.

celacanthr

Originally Posted by dgott2000
certainly get a sandsifting starfish...you wont see him much because he will always be burried but they do an amazing job of cleaning the sand and eating excess food/waste. they are a must for nearly any tank and they are pretty cheap.
nope. They WILL move every bit of your sand bed, but when they move it, they are really eating the beneficial creatures in your sandbed. When they have exhausted there supply they will die.

dogstar

In a some what larger system with fugr and heathy live sand a SSS is fine. The funa can reproduce much faster than the star can consume it. You could say the same thing about sleeper gobies as well. Many of them starve from lack of enough micro life in a sand bed and unhealthy systems.
I have kept my 2 SSS and sleeper gobies now for over 4 years.
I know alot of people will disagree with keeping them but I dont think theres anything 'special' about MY sandsifters.

dogstar

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
I doubt that a 40 gallon with a shallow sand bed would be adequate though
I agree with that.

40 galons

so i guess ill just stick with the diamond goby .. hes cool anyway. and yes he does do a great job.. i was kinda just being gready i guess

drew2005

Originally Posted by 40 galons
so i guess ill just stick with the diamond goby .. hes cool anyway. and yes he does do a great job.. i was kinda just being gready i guess
Be sure you have a cover on your tank. They are jumpers.

dieselndix

so i got a CC bed in my 55g tank. hermits and SSS only so far.
whats the real deal with them.... i like him and i wanna do they best to keep him
thanks....looks just like the pic above.....CC and SSS

alyssia

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
nope. They WILL move every bit of your sand bed, but when they move it, they are really eating the beneficial creatures in your sandbed. When they have exhausted there supply they will die.

I second that