Sand Sifting Cucumber ?

bsktmom

Does anyone know anything about the sand sifting cucumber for sale on this site? All it says is that its diet is substrate. Do they eat the microfauna in your sand bed like the sand sifting stars? I have a mandarin and I don't want anything that competes for his food. Thanks!!!

jester805

From what I know the cucumbers eat what's in your substrate. Once it's all gone they starve themselves to death. I thought about getting one, but was afraid of that happening. Hope that helps.

ophiura

Actually they do NOT eat the critters in the sand bed...they take in sand particles and basically digest off bacteria and such living on them. They are not an issue for a sand bed, but can starve in smaller tanks or those with crushed coral. They are not like sand sifting stars.

jester805

Originally Posted by ophiura
Actually they do NOT eat the critters in the sand bed...they take in sand particles and basically digest off bacteria and such living on them. They are not an issue for a sand bed, but can starve in smaller tanks or those with crushed coral. They are not like sand sifting stars.
Good info. Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it WAS similar to the sand sifter.