sand sifting cucumber?

helpme74

I'm thinking on buying one for my 75 gal tank . Has anyone had anything bad happen to there tank with a sand sifting cucumber? tell me what you think about them i have fine sand.

uberlink

I've never had a sand sifting cucumber, but I had a sand sifting star that came with a setup I purchased second hand. Total disaster. They consume all of the beneficial bacteria you need in your sand, and they ultimately starve because they still can't get enough to eat. If sand sifting cucumbers feed in a similar manner, I would avoid them.

t316

I had one (named Waldo, because you always had to search for him), but I traded him back in after reading a few of the war stories on here about how they totally crashed some tanks. Seems there are some types that are okay, and others...very, very bad if they die because they will release a toxic discharge into your tank killing everything. The problem is, I could never get a clear conclusion as to which is which...You don't know until it happens. So, I wasn't willing to take the risk any longer. One common response that I did hear was that the more colorful one's caused the most problems. Mine was a dark brownish green, but again, not worth the risk.

michaeltx

bright colors usually equal a toxicity potential.
as far as the sandsifting star and cuc they dont actualy eat bacteria but the microfauna that is in the sandbed that we want and need. in a new tank there is nothing there for them to eat and is pretty much a death sentence for them even in larger tanks sometimes its hard for them to find enough foods. The best are sand sifiting snail like nassarious that churn the top layers of sand.
Mike