sand sifting houdini?

coachb

Read a lot lately on sand sifting stars. Thought I would try one. I put him in Tues. and not 30 seconds later he disappeared, althought it looked like he buried himself as there seem to be an outline in the sand. My question for those of you experienced with these stars is; do these guys work on the surface or below, are they visible during light or nocturnal. Should I be concerned that he is a no show for 3 days? Thanks for any thought
54 corner
PC 130 W
wet/dry
1 coral beauty
2 perc clowns
3 scarlet hermits
numerous snails
2 conchs
3 emerald crabs
1 brittle star
1 serpent star
3 ricordia
1 feather duster
excellent water conditions
3 scarlet

jakob4001

it seems to depend on whom you ask; some think that they tend to kill off most/all life in the sand like horeshoe crabs said to as well

dseiler

They work both above and below. I would not worry too much if you have not seen him for a couple of days. I can go for days without seeing mine and then days with him on top of the sand. If you are really worried you could search for him, but I wouldn't stress about it.

coachb,
My sand sifting star is always under the sand working his magic. You will see an outline of where he is and will only see him when he surfaces to move to a new place in the tank. Don't stress, as long as you see his outline in the sand he's ok.

coachb

thanks for the reassurance, I kind of figured he might be under the sand and I would not see him much but it is nice to hear from others. Thanks for the replys.

coachb

thanks for the reassurance, I kind of figured he might be under the sand and I would not see him much but it is nice to hear from others. Thanks for the replys.