Sand sifting star fish question

matth2181

i just got one of these, and like once a day i catch him on the glass movin around then goes back down and diggs back in. is it normal for them to crawl up the glass and find their way around? thanks

browniebuck

I have had one of these in both of my tanks for a few years now...they do occasionally get onto the glass...not sure why, but after a trip up and around on the glass they go back into their sandy homes and they go about their business.

ophiura

It should be noted, that most of these stars will die in our tanks, after consuming beneficial fauna in the sand bed. In larger tanks they may survive, in smaller (under 100g) their odds become very limited. Around 12 -18 months they start disintegrating, after starving to death. :( Climbing the glass is effectively them "moving" or trying to move, into another area...like moving over rocks on a reef. They will go back to the sand.

nina&noah

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/3133755
It should be noted, that most of these stars will die in our tanks, after consuming beneficial fauna in the sand bed. In larger tanks they may survive, in smaller (under 100g) their odds become very limited. Around 12 -18 months they start disintegrating, after starving to death. :( Climbing the glass is effectively them "moving" or trying to move, into another area...like moving over rocks on a reef. They will go back to the sand.
+1....It happened to mine. It is really sad when they start disintegrating. I felt horrible!