Sand sifting starfish

blackjacktang

I am thinking about geting a one of these gies. I need sone info on them.
Here is some info on my tank.
60 gallons with about 40lbs of live rock. One hole side of sand and other side of live rock. My sand is 2 inches thick. The bottom layer is dead sand. And the top layer is live sand. 20lbs of live sand and 40lbs of dead sand. The tank mates are a blue tang, a clownfish, some hermitcrabs and snails. And a brittle star.

alix2.0

they eat all the beneficial micro organisms in your sand. plus, in a tank of that size and with such a shallow sandbed, it will eventually starve.
BTW that tangs gonna outgrow that tank

K

ken the newbe

is there anything you can add so it wont starve to death

alix2.0

Originally Posted by Blackjacktang
What about a blue/red/orange linka starfish. Tey seem realy cool.
linkias are also very hard to keep as they are very delicate and need large systems with lots of live rock. they usually die of starvation, bad parameters, or acclimation shock. (remember that even if you get this star and have the perfect parameters etc for it and acclimate it perfectly, it could still die of acclimation shock due to bad acclimation at LFS.)

alix2.0

Originally Posted by ken the newbe
is there anything you can add so it wont starve to death
more live sand i guess. LOTS of live sand. which is pretty expensive. think about it, if your system cant support the animal as it is, should you be getting it? i wouldnt put a mandarin in my 30 gallon with the plan that i was going to add pods every week. i would wait untill i had a system that could support the animal itself.

K

ken the newbe

i have a 45 gal tank with a sand siffter star and i was thinking of buying a couple of bags of pods from this site--how many should i get

teen

Originally Posted by ken the newbe
i have a 45 gal tank with a sand siffter star and i was thinking of buying a couple of bags of pods from this site--how many should i get
they eat microfauna.

blackjacktang

Originally Posted by Waterlogged
If they eat all the good stuff out of sand why do you want one?
I changed my mined. I don't want a sand shifting starfish.