Sand sifting starfish

maleficent

I just got a shipment of livestock for my 55g reef and am concerned about a sand sifting starfish. The tips of the legs are breaking down and grainy looking with pieces disentegrating and floating off. is this something that it can recover from or will my scavengers have a feast? Is one 3" starfish enough to foul my water? He looked pretty bad in the bag but I went ahead with a full and proper 2hr drip method acclimation just in case. Thanks.

buzz

Ophiura is the resident starfish expert, but I believe it can recover...
It could be stressed from shipping. The fact that you acclimated slowly is a good thing. I guess you have to just wait it out now and see if it was too stressed or not.
It may have also been starving. Is your sand bed mature? If not, maybe spot feed.

I have to disagree on the life span but this is only my experience. I have had my sand sifter star for just about two years now and it is doing very well. I don't see it up on the glass but mostly moving around on the sand or happily buried. I do have a layer of fiberglass door screen about 32mm below the top layer of sand so it cannot get too deep. The only thing I can caution is that if you intend on adding any bottom feeding/sifting stype fish in the future they will starve as I found out in my virgin days of saltwater tanks. Of course...I don't intend to keep a full blown reef, just a combo fish/ easy corals so this experience may differ for others.
Deanna

ophiura

I think jwishy's theory is a valid one, and quite possible. Otherwise I do not tend to like them in most systems, and agree that most are doomed.
As for the current one, yes, they can recover, but if the stress is pretty high, then it may continue to deteriorate. I am afraid these animals don't always ship well, and, unfortunately, 2 hours may not be enough of an acclimation. What are your tank params and specific gravity?
I would guess that the animal will not survive, but it is possible if conditions are pristine and it takes spot feeding.