Sand then rock?

youmademeink

I am new to the salt water squarium world and recently purchased a 46 gallon tank. I have all the necesary equipment to start it up, I was just wondering about the live sand and rock. Being that I do have somewhat of a budget (it's taken me a while to get everything to get to this point) how long after puting the sand in the water do I need to wait before I can put in the rock? And will there be any algae? I have read that I need to let the water cycle, but I was just curious as to how long would be a good idea. I appreciate any help you can offer.
Mel

halo_frk03

put the sand in and wait for it to setle, then place ur rock in there... how much rock are you putting in there? is it cured or uncured... the rock should start the cycle naturally and could last anywhere from 2 weeks - 8 weeks

michaeltx

some do it opposite and place the rock in then the sand it will help sand borrowing critters from toppling your rocks over.
HINT use dry base rock for the foundation anything below the sand line will dieoff !!
Mike

azfishgal

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
HINT use dry base rock for the foundation anything below the sand line will dieoff !!
Mike
I've also heard that if you put half dead rock and half live rock, your dead rock will become live. So it becomes live down to the sand line, is that right? We obviously don't want it to die off because that will cause a big cycle, right? I've also heard you can start with dead sand and add a cup of two live sand and then your entire sand base will become live eventually. Save on cost, right?

michaeltx

yes on all
if you mix dry base and lr rock the things that make LR live will migrate and populate the base rock making it alive. and the same thing with the sand.
mike

rad

I just installed my live rock last night and I do have some thats 'dug' in to the sand. Should I try and keep my live rock completely on top of the sand or is just a little bit ok?

michaeltx

your live rock will be ok there will be some spots that will dieoff but what we are talking about is burying the rock mostly under the sand then its a waste of money buying quality LR just to kill it under the sand.
Mike

reefkprz

if your going to have any fish that burrow like watchmen goby or something like that you actully want it down to the glass to keep them from underminig in and getting squished, but if you not going to have fish/critter that dig then yes you can set it on top of the sand. its usually more stable if its down to the glass though.

The rocks will work itself into a a stable position, you can set it up a certain way but over time they will sink to the bottom of the sand.

youmademeink

Thank you all for the help. I will be putting about 45 pounds of live rock in my 46 gal tank. I also plan on buying cured rock because I am new to this I don't want to worry about critters that may be harmful. It's a little headache I am willing to pay a bit more to not have.