Sand

mgann

I will be setting up a 110g tank up in the next couple of weeks. My question is what kind of sand to use. To get a 3 inch depth I will need around 107lbs of sand. Is it true that you can use Caribbean play sand sold at Home Depot.
Thx

aztec reef

you bet... Just make sure you get the "Yardright" or "Southdown" brand, this Caribbean playsands are 100% Natural calcium carbonate a.k.a Aragonite..
Now, don't get confused cause they also have some other sands which are silica-based or Quartz-based. they're ok but not as good as the white calcium carbonate Playsands..
Silica- and quartz-based sands are fairly inert and also alright to use, but will not give the same buffering benefits of aragonite. they would also tend to be darker and bigger grain size..

1journeyman

Originally Posted by mgann
I will be setting up a 110g tank up in the next couple of weeks. My question is what kind of sand to use. To get a 3 inch depth I will need around 107lbs of sand. Is it true that you can use Caribbean play sand sold at Home Depot.
Thx
You may want to research sand bed depths. 3 inches is kind of in the danger zone. Too shallow for a deep sand bed, and too deep for a shallow sand bed.

renogaw

i have about 10-15 lbs of live sand i'm not sure i can fit into my tank if you want to drive to Springfield MA area to pickup.