Sandsifting Fish

lizzy

What is a good sandsifting fish that will keep my sandbed clean? also do sandsifting fish eat pods? cuz one day i would like to get a mandarin (of course...wouldnt all of us?) Thanks! Liz

j.p

i hear the eat the good bugs in your sandbed but idk and they can spit stuff on your coral if u have any

lizzy

What would be recomended for keeping the sandbed clean then? because i have cyno and its starting to get hairy...i need something!

earlybird

Pods will be in the sand along with many different micro organisims that YES the sand sifter will deplete. Over time you'll probably need to add sand to keep the fish fed unless you can get it to eat prepared foods.
It took me 11 months to get a white sand bed. You just have to keep up with water changes, have adequate flow, and a balanced clean up crew. No need for a sand sifting fish IMO. If your rocks aren't secured or are on the sand, sand sifters can dig around the base of the rocks and cause an avalanche.

lizzy

Thank you...that was the info i was looking for! So no to keeping a mandarin and a sandsifting gobie in the same tank! Sooooo now i need to go shopping for some narsias (spell check) snails......any other clean up crew invert to recomend that doesnt deplete the pods?

earlybird

Nassarius are great but are mainly detrivours and won't eat algae in my experience. Along with nassarius I highly recommend cerit snails and astrea snails.

im not sure on your tank size but my dragon wrasse is always turning my sand a little to much imo. but i dont think they are reef safe.

A

alf1096

I have been looking for a sand sifting fish also.... I like the golden headed sleeper goby the question I have is can I put it in a 1 month old 65 gal tank and and what do they eat. I don't want the fish to starve but I think they are cool.

fats71

Originally Posted by Lizzy
http:///forum/post/2519734
Thank you...that was the info i was looking for! So no to keeping a mandarin and a sandsifting gobie in the same tank! Sooooo now i need to go shopping for some narsias (spell check) snails......any other clean up crew invert to recomend that doesnt deplete the pods?
I have a manderin and a diamond goby in my 75 along with a blue spotted puffer several snails and types 3 different kind of damsels and all is fine oh ya and two cleaner shrimp.
No problems at all. I took small rocks for the goby to burrow under 4 inch rocks etc so if it goes to the bottom it hurts nothing. the large rocks are fine and secure.