Sargassum Fish question.

dazed2040

I am thinking about getting an Sargassum Fish, can anyone give me some good advice on caring for one. Can you get them to eat frozen and what is a good varied diet for them.

small triggers

sargassum trigger Or a sargassum fish that is a type of angler? I know the trigger readily takes frozen but i am unsure of the other. Good luck. (if it is the trigger alot of people keep them)

dazed2040

Originally Posted by small triggers
http:///forum/post/3084946
sargassum trigger Or a sargassum fish that is a type of angler? I know the trigger readily takes frozen but i am unsure of the other. Good luck. (if it is the trigger alot of people keep them)
Sorry! Should have made it more clear, I am talking about the angler.
Attachment 227969

S

saxman

the Sargassum angler (Histrio histrio) is fairly EZ to keep assuming you get a "good' specimen, and they usually train well to frozen foods (usually from a feeding stick). it's OK to feed live to get them started, but stay away from FW fish, esp. the carp family (goldfish, rosy reds, etc). SW fish (damsels ARE good for something!) and shrimp are the best, but guppies and mollies will do in a pinch.
also, resist the urge to overfeed...two or 3 times a week is plenty. anglers have died due to ingesting too large a prey item or being fed too much. their metabolism is so slow, the food actually rots in their gut before it can be digested.
this brings up the fact that an angler can/will eat fish as large, or larger than they are, so tankmates need to be at LEAST as large. also, don't keep anglers with nippers or browsing fish...they may stress out the angler.
unlike most anglers, histrios can jump (they do so in the ocean to escape preds), so you might want to cover the tank.
HTH