Sargassum Trigger

fargosux

I saw this trigger on thermarinecenter.com & i was wondering if they really are reef safe & if so how big of a tank is required?

jim27

I cant help you with the Q's but thats an awesome fish. I guess if they say its reef safe then it probably is.

I am still a believer when it comes to triggers, add to your reef at your own risk. they may nip at corals. I have watched them just be cruising around the tank andt hen see something on the rock or sand, first thing my triggers have done is swim over and give it a chomp to see if it's edible.

marco

The book I have(same pic in the book as the one you posted) says it's one of the only triggers that can be kept in a reef aquarium. That and the "crosshatch trigger". How much do they want for it? I bet it's big bucks.

crashlk

I was just reading up on triggers, and this trigger and the bluejaw are the only herbivorous triggers and the lest aggressive of the triggers.
I would agree that it is reef safe, but this is not based on first hand knowledge.

dpittman

And the Crosshatch - all are from the same family - still trying to find a small one!
Here is my bluejaw....

rosco05

I to have a sargassum and bluejaw in a 150g reef tank and both have done competely fine. In my opinion it should do fine.
Ross

grouperhead

bluejaw are the only herbivorous triggers
They are not herbivorous. They will eat greens (as will most triggers) but still benefit from squid, krill, etc. Pinktails and Hawaiin blacks are pretty mellow as well. I don't know if I'd ever feel safe with a trigger in a reef though...Bo

dpittman

Oh c'mon - give one a try! Not only do I trust them (xanthichthys family) but I find them to be a one of the best reef fish. The bluejaw has been safe for two years - here is another pic of the sargassum with my new chevron in the corner

grouperhead

Do you have a male for her? I feel they are safe with sessile inverts, but might have a shrimp dinner once or twice.....Bo

dpittman

A male for ??
Can't tell if the sargassum is a male or female - I was thinking of getting a female for my bluejaw one of these days.
I do have 4 cleaner shrimp and some camel shrimp as well. I guess we we will see what happens when these guys get 8-10 inches!

barryi

im pretty sure they are reef safe. Ive really wanted one but i just want to find a nice reef safe trigger under $50. they might attack some inverts but im not sure.