Scarlet crabs doing something strange???

monica

Hi everyone! It's been a long time. I have been working on my tank for months! I left a question awhile ago when I was ready to give up on my tank. I have been trying to figure it out. Now I have my water level great finally except my nitrate level, but that is only reading about 10. I have a 75 gal. that has been running for a couple years now. When I switched to dsb and lr my ammonia went up and would not go down. Now after a long time I have my ammonia at 0. My question is I am trying to get some snails and crabs to eat the algue, but I can't get the snails to stay alive and the crabs (scarlet crabs) just sit there and they do not move until I do a water change. Then they stretch out huge and walk around for a few minutes. Then they just sit there without moving again until I do a water change. Is this just really strange or am I doing something wrong that I do not know about? Thanks for any advice. This has been a lot of work and a lot of money I really would like to see something in this tank for once. It only has two small fish and dsb and lr. I have a protien skimmer running in a sump. Is it possible I have too much movement in the water or something??? Thanks again.

I have alot of water movement and never seemed to be a problem for my critters to move around. You said you cannot keep snails alive...by chance, have you ever treated your tank with any copper-based chemicals? If I remember correctly, snails will die fairly quickly is exposed to copper and hermits will die as well but it just takes a little longer. I might be wrong but I know coppercan wipe out your inverts.