Scarlit hermit laying eggs?

ssweet1

Last night I got my flashlight out and witnessed a scarlit hermit lift up her shell and take her back legs and scoot out thousands of tiny red things? Right behind her was a bigger scarlet hermit - maybe the father? geez ya never know what goes on in the nightime! Carrie

clarkiiboi

Well, I never seen that but they have to reproduce somehow.....anyone know if this is how? Just curious and tagging along.

92protruck

I have also seen this in my tank. The larvae look a little like brine shrimp to me. They disappear pretty quickly.

cprdnick

I've asked a question about this before, I was informed that even if the eggs make it, the babies never will. Too tempting to our fish friends I guesss.

ssweet1

I wasnt sure if it was eggs or live they were so tiny and thousands of them they floated to the back glass and disappeared like the Charlottes web baby spiders. It was too wierd. Now today I saw a decorater crab I have no idea where he came from cause I have not added anything new and have never seen him before. Believe me this guy looked wierd. Are they reef safe? I hope. Carrie

gati

yes, they pinch of bits of corals, but not enough to harm anything. once they cover their shell and feel comfortable, they will stop picking at things.
they are fun to watch!!!