Scooter Blenny dying

gilbert

I think my scooter blenny is dying. He is less responsive to touch and sight than normal, only moving if something actually hits him, and then only in small bursts of maybe an inch. He won't eat frozen food, which I thought he had been eating up to this point. He looks really thin... Is there any hope for him? Or is it too late?

jackri

They mostly eat copepods unless you are lucky enough to get them to eat mysis shrimp. Probably too late for him to learn to eat frozen foods at this point --- cool little fish though.

meowzer

I think your tank may have been too young and too small......they really need to live off teh beneficial fauna found in established sand beds......

gilbert

So did I! I watched him eat for a while, and made sure he ate it, but I stopped after a while because I thought he would eat it...
I've been feeding mysis every other day, sometimes every third day (when I forget, or don't have time). I thought I would be able to keep up with his feeding requirements, but I guess I've been getting too lazy...

gilbert

That's how I always fed him. I only have two fish, him and a clownfish who stays at the top of the aquarium. I feed the clown new life and mysis, and the dragonet mysis only. I take an eye dropper, get it as close to the dragonet as he'll allow, and squirt mysis near him. He sees it and eats it. At least I thought he did...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Is he eating at all now? You need to make better on that diet if mysis is all he is getting. Do you have LR?

gilbert

I have live rock, but not much... I don't think there's anything I can do. I think he's basically dead. I keep trying to feed him, but I'm afraid to feed him too much because of water quality. I keep trying to get my dad to buy more than one kind of food, but he doen't believe that it's better for a fish's diet to be varied more than mysis and new life

gilbert

Sigh... I could try to give it to my dad... But his 60 gal. is the same age mine is, and we haven't ever seen copepods in his... Plus he just got a new fish yesterday, which makes 5... So another one isn't good for his tank, right?

gilbert

Too late... He died last night, at 11:30...
I took some pictures of him, but I can't post them, we're on vacation in Oklahoma right now. He chose a bad time to die.

meowzer

Originally Posted by gilbert
http:///forum/post/3282727
Too late... He died last night, at 11:30...
I took some pictures of him, but I can't post them, we're on vacation in Oklahoma right now. He chose a bad time to die.
Where in OK are you on vacation????