Scooter Blenny Not Acting Right?

stubbbs

my scooter seems to be very lethargic....all water parameters are normal except nitrates around 15. all other fish appear fine. any ideas?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by stubbbs
http:///forum/post/2479914
my scooter seems to be very lethargic....all water parameters are normal except nitrates around 15. all other fish appear fine. any ideas?
What do you mean, he is not very active? How exactly is he acting? Is he eating? How long have you had him?

mx#28

Sadly, it's not rare for these fish to slowly starve to death. How long have you had it and what size is the tank?

stubbbs

i have had him about 2 months and i think the problem is he is starving...what can i now do to get him to eat? i used to see him picking at the gravel but have not noticed lately. I always float some algea sheets but can honestly say he never really looked interested in the algae sheets....as far as the way he is acting...very blah, not active, and he was very easy to catch and place in a qt tank...any advice??? thanks

mx#28

Originally Posted by stubbbs
http:///forum/post/2479971
i have had him about 2 months and i think the problem is he is starving...what can i now do to get him to eat? i used to see him picking at the gravel but have not noticed lately. I always float some algea sheets but can honestly say he never really looked interested in the algae sheets....as far as the way he is acting...very blah, not active, and he was very easy to catch and place in a qt tank...any advice??? thanks
First, it's really best to have a constant, natural food source available to them - ie. copepods and amphipods, etc. A refugium is a good way to 'farm' these live foods without the fish completely depleting the population.
That said, I've had luck getting them to eat frozen by using blood worms and then adding more variety. Most people will say scooters and mandarins don't get the nutrition they need, but I think the issue is really the availability of the food. If you're relying on frozen for the scooter, feed at least 3 or 4 times a day. Or better yet, set-up a feeding station that he can use any time of day.
Unfortunately, this fish is hard to enough to keep healthy, and significantly harder to nurse it back.

nycbob

mandarin and scooters should only be in a matured tank of at least 6 months with at least 50lbs of lr.