Scooter Blenny pics

clown123

i love those sail fins they are pretty colorfull mine doesnt really do it when it does its nice the eel will try to eat it but it throws that fin up and the eel runs i wonder if there poision or something to the fish?

mr_bill

The fin is a bluff, it's supposed to make them appear too big to eat. One day I'll get that picture I've been wanting, It's just so hard to catch him with the sail up.

clown123

a 25g would be fine mine is brine blood worm even small krill and are very easy to keep i recomend u get 1

wax32

clown123 has the exception to the rule.
They generally only eat the live micro-crustaceans we call "pods" which appear naturally in our tanks over time. If your tank doesn't have enough of these, they will usually starve. A 25 gallon tank won't have enough liverock to support the HUGE population of pods this fish requires. If you are lucky and yours eats fish foods that you may offer, then it might be OK, but they usually don't...

fishrule

Originally Posted by wax32
clown123 has the exception to the rule.
They generally only eat the live micro-crustaceans we call "pods" which appear naturally in our tanks over time. If your tank doesn't have enough of these, they will usually starve. A 25 gallon tank won't have enough liverock to support the HUGE population of pods this fish requires. If you are lucky and yours eats fish foods that you may offer, then it might be OK, but they usually don't...
I think I will pass on one of these guys then... I already lost a Green Mandarin because of this in my 100g tank at home...

jerthunter

oh oh oh, look at mine, look at mine!!!!! I love my scooter blenny but he can be a pain to get a clear picture of.

mr_bill

Yay for scooters!!
They remind me of a little bird like a finch or something similar in the way they hop around the tank.
Jerthunter, mine looks almost exactly like yours. I really want to get a good picture of the reds, blues, and the sail all at once. Really hard for a novice camera user like myself.
wax32 , I totally agree!! easily the most difficult fish in my tank for feeding. Even one that takes frozen foods can easily starve when around alot faster feeding fish.

bronco300

that is a sweet picture mr bill...i've never seen a sail on em...let alone knew they had a sail...lol
thanks for informing
Luke

fedukeford

does anybody scooter blenny ever like flip out?? mine does, he looks like hes choking, and his back fin goes up and down rapidly for like 2 minutes

mr_bill

Originally Posted by fedukeford
does anybody scooter blenny ever like flip out?? mine does, he looks like hes choking, and his back fin goes up and down rapidly for like 2 minutes

If it's his large dorsal fin(sail fin) then he's showing off, if you see him elongating his mouth and kind of hicupping then he's just got ahold of something a little too big to swallow.

wax32

The first fish I bought when I started this addiction a year ago was a scooter... I guess you can figure out the outcome...

fedukeford

Originally Posted by Mr_Bill
If it's his large dorsal fin(sail fin) then he's showing off, if you see him elongating his mouth and kind of hicupping then he's just got ahold of something a little too big to swallow.
he does it all the time, its sometimes right after he just ate a big piece of mysis shrimp, but its sometimes at random times

mr_bill

Originally Posted by fedukeford
he does it all the time, its sometimes right after he just ate a big piece of mysis shrimp, but its sometimes at random times
Ya he's swallowing something, or attempting to anyway. Do you guys spot feed or just throw food in the tank for them to get on their own? I use an eyedropper with mysis for the spot feeding.

jerthunter

I've never gotten the chance to get a picture of my scooter with his sail up, I like your picture, wish I could get one like that....
I had my scooter for several months and never fed him. Once I started feeding my fish frozen mysis shrimp he started eatting that. He is rather fast when it comes to competing for the mysis shrimp..

fishrule

Originally Posted by Jerthunter
oh oh oh, look at mine, look at mine!!!!! I love my scooter blenny but he can be a pain to get a clear picture of.
Your scooter is in the military huh? :thinking: Let me guess, Marines? (Get it, cause he is a marine
animal and looks like marine camo
.... oh nevermind...) :happyfish

wax32

So you guys have had luck with frozen mysis huh? I'll have to try that with my mandarins.

fishrule

Originally Posted by wax32
So you guys have had luck with frozen mysis huh? I'll have to try that with my mandarins.
Let me know if it works, I would like to get another Mandarin some day...