scooter blenny

blkhawk10

I was wanting to get a scooter blenny and was wondering if anyone has one, and what they think of them. Do they eat algae?

dragracer

Well, to start. Mine never ate algae. I was misinformed by my LFS before I found this site. I was told they would be fine without LR and they would eat algae. Sadly, I starved two of them to death. I have been reading up since. They should have lots of LR and they eat meaty foods,...example...mysis shrimp. I think. Someone on here is sure to add to what I have.
I had decided to bypass the idea to have another for a while and just recently started to read up on them again.

I had one a long time ago without LR. it ate brine shrimp, but it was bigger than they usually are at the LFS(here anyway). I imagine they do need LR though. If you get one look for a bigger one and see if it eats brine shrimp at the store before you buy it. HTH

aarone

It is not really a blenny. actually it is a dragonette like the mandarin and it requires a population of pods to survive.
aaron

fender

Like aaron said, they are actually dragonettes and feed off of pods. They need LOTS of LR to survive. If you want something that eats algae go with a Lawn Mower Blenny. Lots of character and a voracious appetite for algae.

fender

Originally posted by Asbury030
hey fender what kind of algea do lawn mowers blennys eat?

I have seen mine eat hair, a thick moss like type I have yet to identify and the green stuff that grows on my glass. They may eat other types. It has not eaten any halimeda or valonia, but I didn't expect him to.