Scooterblenny dead after 3 weeks of QT

tsquared1977

Yesterday i transferred my scooter blenny from my QT tank to my display tank. He was in QT for 3 weeks, and he seemed to be doing fine and in good health. Yesterday i transferred him into the DT after drip acclimating him for 2 hours, and he seemed to be fine for the few hours the lights were on. This morning, when i looked, he was dead in the middle of the sand bed. All of the tank parameters i tested were fine. Ammonia at zero, nitrates and nitrites at zero. Additionally, water changes in the QT tank were coming from the DT to help prepare him, so i don't think there was anything going on regarding water quality that he wasn't already dealing with.

Just curious if i'm missing something, as i'm baffled how he would be fine for 3 weeks and then not make it 12 hours. I have the following fish, and i haven't read anything that suggests it wasn't compatible, but hoping someone can provide some insight: Two clowns, yellow tang, midas blenny, 3 engineer gobies, a pink spotted watchman goby, 2 fire fish, a randali shrimp, small female emerald crab, and a cleaner shrimp.

Any possible insight would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
My guess would be either the clowns or midas. I would recomend doing a black out of your tank for 1 day when adding new additions in the future. The initial excitement of a new addition can trigger some fish into a territorial response. The black out immediately after adding the new fish kinda distracts everything and helps the new fish stay calm and adjust. This has 100% worked for me in the past.

tsquared1977

Thanks for the advice. When you perform a blackout, are you saying to just keep the lights off, or are you literally creating a 24 hour night by putting something over the tank to keep it dark?

Thanks again!