Scott's Fairy Wrasse

Can somebody give me some info on this fish. I was looking to possibly get one and the site its on says it is reef safe. Do I need to be careful with a guy like that. Does he have any special feeding habits I should be aware of? I have a 75g reef tank with only a Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, and a perc clownfish. What do you think?

tjswanson

They are suppose to be a pretty hardy fish. But if you decide to order one through your LFS, be there when the shipment comes in and take the fish right away. They need to be put back into a reef tank very quickly or so I've read. A great reef fish. TJ

Well, I'm actually getting the Fairy Wrasse online. I obviously won't say where but they are having a huge sale on it until tonight only. I think I might go ahead and get it. It's an amazing colored fish.

pufferlover

I happened to see that ad on the Scotts for 48 and I figure that is the place you are talking about. The picture makes it look very pretty and it said it is completely reef safe. Let us know if it is as good looking as the picture they used to advertise it.

They changed their weekly specials as soon as I got home so I emailed them to see if i could still get the fish. They don't offer the fish in their regular stock for some reason. Grr...

majestic angel

This is truly a beautiful fish. Be certain yours is a male, the females tend to be a bit drab as in many marine fish. Also, it sounds as if you've researched this fish, but FYI this fish is a jumper. I had a beautiful healthy specimen in a FO tank for almost a year. Almost daily I had to save him from the overflow where he landed. Tragically, I came in from work one day and he'd missed the overflow and landed on the floor.

Ordered my Wrasse today and should be here Thursday. I can't wait to see it in my tank. I went to my LFS yesterday and they had one for $100. It was tiny too. I got it for less than half that. I'm uneasy about the jumping thing. My hood is enclosed and can't exactly get out onto the floor but he could jump into the hood and fry on top of the acrylic of the tank. Any suggestions?

majestic angel

Sorry to have caused you concern, but you needed to know. My hood was enclosed with only a small opening in back behind the siphon box. I, too, am planning to purchase another of these when I get my 150 reef established, and I am already thinking about a solution. Hmmm, is it possible for you to use glass covers? I'll be using VHO lighting but am not really excited about glass covers...undecided at this point. Another idea I've considered is to attach eggcrate vertically to the edges the center support and the same to the corner overflows. This would at least make a taller hurdle. Keep me informed!

alianated

I know you cant post the URLS here, but if anyone knows of any good site for both, selling fish and/or good lighting euipment and/or resources please send me an email at alianated1@yahoo.com or private message me here.
I am going to ultimately stick these urls into my flash site and that way everyone can see them. But I am so clueless as far as good sites other than this one.
alianated www.alianated.com

majestic angel

Saltwater Kid, I was doing some research for myself on the Scott's Fairy Wrasse and just found a great reference . E-mail me for the URL.
jaten90@hotmail.com Found a solution for the jumping problem, using eggcrate as I suggested, but this person covered tank with it rather than making "hurdles" for the fish....duh! :eek: