scrape off algae on LR?

roggy23

what is the best way to scrape algae off LR? is is safe to take the rock out of the tank and scrape it off maybe with a brush or something?

beaslbob

some do scrub their live rock to clean it.
turbo snales will eat the hair algae and do a very good job of it.
As the algae is removed there will be less algae to consume nitrates, phosphates and carbon dioxide. As a result your nitrates will go up and possibly the ph drop. the best solution is to add plant life you desire to consume the nitrates feeding the algae. that way you have pretty plants not the ugly algaes.

krishj39

It is safe to take the rock off for a short amount of time to scrub it. I find a tooth brush to be best.

dacia

As the algae is removed there will be less algae to consume nitrates, phosphates and carbon dioxide. As a result your nitrates will go up and possibly the ph drop. the best solution is to add plant life you desire to consume the nitrates feeding the algae. that way you have pretty plants not the ugly algaes.
I agree that this is a great way to get rid of your algae problem, however, rather than the main tank as he suggests, I feel that lots of plants are better kept in the refugium or the sump. They still do their job there, but they keep your tank looking more like a reef than a lagoon. But, it's all up to what you prefer...

dacia

:joy: I just tested the "scrub with a toothbrush" method. WAHLAH. No algae on the LR. :D :happy: :cheer: I didn't take it out of the tank, though. I set up my HOB filter on the tank, and it sucked up all the hair algae I scraped off. Well, most of it. My firefish went after some of it, too.

kevinf

Originally posted by Dacia
:joy: I just tested the "scrub with a toothbrush" method. WAHLAH. No algae on the LR. :D :happy: :cheer: I didn't take it out of the tank, though. I set up my HOB filter on the tank, and it sucked up all the hair algae I scraped off. Well, most of it. My firefish went after some of it, too.

Wonder if Sonicare would work better.:D

dacia

Wonder if Sonicare would work better. :D
I'd rather use the Crest Spinbrush at a mere 1% of the Sonicare price.