scratch acrylic tank

bullitr

my large dogface puffer scratch his teeth/beek on the glass all the time is about .80"thick how can i remove the scratch .i heard that there a good product for this..my tank is only couple months old .. thank you

dustysage

Pentair Aquatics (sp?) makes a scratch removal kit. However, you need to empty the tank to use it, which is a real pain.
Light scratches can also be buffed out, but this really isn't practical in small tank home use.
-Dusty
micechat.com

dustysage

I figured there had to be something you could use that would be easier than what I posted above, so I did a little research and came across a product which claims that you can "sand" scratches out of any acrylic tank even with the water still in it. It is called a "Micro Mesh Scratch Removal Kit".
I've never used this kit and have no idea if it works.
-Dusty

bullitr

i have no problem emptying the tank.if the scratch remover would not make my tank cloudy/hazy.. i'm thinking of selling some of my fish and start again. i don't want aggressive tank anymore

maliskasmi

I have used the micro mesh scratch removal kit while the tank is full of water.It does work! I have a few more small scratches(from moving rock around) and am planning to buff those out this weekend.

phixer

Wet sanding is best for scratch removal. If I only had a nickel for every scratch Ive removed from an aircraft canopy with a micromesh kit. It works well just make sure each pass made with the sandpaper is at a different angle. Meaning with each finer grade you are sanding across the groves created by the previous grade trying to remove them.
And keep in mind that if the scratches are deep and require significant material removal you will be weakening your acrylic by making it thinner.
http://www.tanked.netfirms.com/acrylic.html

bullitr

i only have light scratch mostly from the beek of my dogface and my glass is about .80 inch / more than 3/4 " thick so i dont think it will compromise the integrity of the tank. but what product are you guys using ( mircomesh) for light scratches.800 and 1200 should be fine right?and can i wet sand it ?

phixer

Originally Posted by bullitr
i only have light scratch mostly from the beek of my dogface and my glass is about .80 inch / more than 3/4 " thick so i dont think it will compromise the integrity of the tank. but what product are you guys using ( mircomesh) for light scratches.800 and 1200 should be fine right?and can i wet sand it ?
Micromesh will remove most scratches but follow the directions, you will be doing a lot of cross directional sanding. 800 and 1200 grit are actually some of the coarser grades included with the micromesh kit, I usually take it much finer finishing with the stuff thats like paper and then a liquid polish yes use a sponge to keep the surface wet preferably on an empty tank. If not you can do it inside the tank but wont be able to use liquid polish to finish it off.

bullitr

i'm selling all my fish today.i'm emptying my tank but its in wall.. maybe i can be inside the tank hoping it can hold me im 195 pound?iknow water weigh 5x more than that but i'm still afraid to break my tank and where can you get micro mesh kit?

saltn00b

if you empty the tank, use Novus. commonly found at specialty plastics stores and hobby stores. works great! also makes 'foggy' /aged car head lamps crystal clear!