Scratched Glass? Tank ruined?

efrank

I cant believe this..i just bot a 90 gallon tank from my (supposed) friend, and it appears that after using a magnetic glass cleaner i may have scratched the glass..Is this possible? Ive tried getting the thin white lines off but they dont come off..Im so bummed, is my new tank ruined? Please help

you proabaly had something stuck between the magnet and the glass but not to worry as long as the scratch is not to deep you can go to a jewelry store and get some polish from them they use it for like diamonds and rubys but it works on glass also

D

daniel411

Why would you be mad at your "friend" if you're the one whos scratched it?

alex.m

I hate to say it but i work in a jewelry store and there are not many compaunds that will polish glass. are you sure its glass not plastic? if its not a bowfront flip it around. but i don't know your tank can't say much HTH alex

actually there are quite a few compounds that will remove scratches but most are used commercially and sold in large amounts so they are very expensive but like i said if you try your jewelry store they might have something for you I KNOW MINE DID no more scratches on my glass

efrank

thanks for the advice - it is a glass tank and its possible i got something stuck btwn the magnet..but im surprised this hasnt happened to other people

efrank

mr quicksilver - thanks - this implies i have to empty the tank..i just bot 300 bucks worth of live rock..are they toast?

actually thats how i scratched my tank (the magnet) but luckily it was on the outside yes you would defintely have to drop the water level below the scratch and be very careful not to get the compounds in the tank but first you need to make sure you can find the scratch removal kit before you do anything else also if the scratch is deep forget about it mine was just light scratches so they came out

efrank

thx - this blows the scratches are at the bottom of the tank about 4 inches off the sand....what a disaster

well just ask yourself is it really worth all that trouble and if so take the rocks out put them in something else keep the water circulating in what ever you put them in and repair the scratches

Me too, but I'm not going to waste my time crying about it... Well, no more than most anyway... :(
Actually, 800 grit sandpaper would probably buff out even the deepest of scratches, but it's simply not worth wasting my time doing it. I have several scratches from my magnets, and I guess that tells me it's time to replace them.