sea dragons

demartini

unfortunately you aren't going to find one. They are endangered and can only be found in Australia...they are cool!

lion_crazz

And in comes Viper, Mr. Rare Coral man. If anyone can find a leafy sea dragon, I would assume it is Viper.

However, I am sure the Australian government would have their reserves about giving a dragon to someone without an aquarium. That little thing called "water" is of slight importance in keeping one of these creatures for longer than 10 minutes.

viper_930

LOL

I know a source that claims he will be getting a few weedies in the next month or two. I'm definitely skeptical, but we'll see if it pans out. This guy gets a lot of nice things I've never seen before though, so I wouldn't be suprised if he's legit. I'll believe it when I see it.

viper_930

Who me? I never said I was going to get one. As far as I know it's only illegal to collect them without a permit.

awilson500

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
And in comes Viper, Mr. Rare Coral man. If anyone can find a leafy sea dragon, I would assume it is Viper.

However, I am sure the Australian government would have their reserves about giving a dragon to someone without an aquarium. That little thing called "water" is of slight importance in keeping one of these creatures for longer than 10 minutes.

You are right I dont have an aquarium yet, but I will have one just tring to learn as much as possible before I jump in head first. As far the weedys or dragon seahourse I took the picture at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago did not know there are endangered. Man they are cool looking thought.

I was definately bummed to hear that they are endangered, not just becuase i would eventually like to have one, but becuase they are cool looking animals.
Anybody know why they are endangered?
Good eats?
Make a nice wallet?

katiev

lol, If you like a wallet that has the consistency of like...knobby wet toilet paper.
This is what the Western Australia Department of Fisheries has to say about them:
Unique to the southern waters of WA and South Australia, the leafy sea-dragon's home is inshore areas of seagrass. Unfortunately these are under increasing threat from pollution and excessive fertiliser run-off.
This is not the only danger faced by the sea-dragon. Although having no known predators amongst the marine world, it has become the target of unscrupulous 'collectors' who have denuded the more accessible seagrass areas of this amazing creature.
The sea-dragon is poorly equipped for fleeing from those who wish to catch it. The outer skin or 'hide' of the sea-dragon is solid, limiting its mobility, and the only way it can propel itself along is through rapidly oscillating its ventral and dorsal fins.

Sad, really. :(

aw2x3

They are endangered and also illegal to collect, by anyone other than research centers and a very few public aquariums.
When I worked at Shedd, in Chicago, we were paying almost $13,000 EACH, from the Aussie government...and that's with a "wholesale" discount.
Any single person/wholesale company who collects them should be turned in and prosecuted, to the full extent of the law.

integral9

I saw something really similar to that on DiscoveryHD the other day. It was a show about hot vent sealife and the critter was just like it except it had the colorations of a green mandarin on LSD. Totally Awesome. Don't have a clue what the critter was though. anyone else see that show?

viper_930

I'll ask the guy about the seadragons again. Particularly how he's getting them. I'm not too fond of him trying to import some because they're endangered though.
The price he mentioned to me a couple weeks ago is WAY lower than $13k. $1,450 to be exact.
I have heard rumors of captive breeding programs down under of leafy seadragons, but I don't know exactly which company or where in Australia. The government should be keen on captive breeding them given their state in the wild.

aw2x3

I'd be vary hesitant about doing any type of business with him.
Friend, or not, I'd report him to CA Fish and Game.
As of early 2006, Leafy Sea Dragons have never been bred, anywhere in the world, in captivity. If that would've changed, you most certainly would've heard about it.

nctarheels

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
Who me? I never said I was going to get one. As far as I know it's only illegal to collect them without a permit.
i think its that or if you captive breed them... which is insanely hard

viper_930

Originally Posted by AW2x3
I'd be vary hesitant about doing any type of business with him.
Friend, or not, I'd report him to CA Fish and Game.
As of early 2006, Leafy Sea Dragons have never been bred, anywhere in the world, in captivity. If that would've changed, you most certainly would've heard about it.
He's not really a friend. He owns a site popular for selling rare corals, mainly non-indo acans, micros, and dendros. Half of my dendro collection I bought from him. I would post the link, but I'm not allowed to.

Ok so here's what he basically replied to me with. He's getting the seadragons from one of two companies in Australia that are legally able to collect and resell seadragons with permits issued by the government, but only a regulated amount each year. They are the ones that have supplied many zoos and aquariums in the US with seadragons.

aw2x3

At least he's doing it legally (so he says).
Now, you just have to look at how immoral it is. Out of how every many he imports, how many can be expected to live (Shedd lost 5, all at one time)?
They're already endangered, so let's import them and sell them to inexperianced people, who think they're cool.