Sea Hare?

newbieabc

Anyone know anything about them? There were three at my lfs and I was curious as to what they eat, reef safe, etc. Pics would be nice too if anyone has any.
They looked like they had lots of personality!
Thanks,
Austin

yosemite sam

They are algae eaters, and in that sense, they are reef safe. They can, however, release a toxic 'ink' if threatened.

paintballer768

And also require not only algae, a ton of it. Ive read on here of people using it to mow down some algae, and then returning it. I would personally only suggest it for tanks with large amounts of algae, yet please note I have no personal experience with this creature.

apos

Yes: this is a species that can starve in your tank pretty easily: they eat up most of their supply and starve before it can grow back. Some reefers pass them around for this reason. They do work on algae like nobodies business.
The ink, as noted, is also dangerous, though if you don't have particularly aggresive bullying fish/crabs, shouldn't be all that likely. And while it can be toxic, it's a lot less toxic than cuke guts (i.e. lots of carbon and a polyfilter and a water change added quickly can save your tank)