Sea Horse ??

smshep01

My wife has been bugging me about possibly doing another fish tank strictly for seahorses. I just got my 29 Gal started up Monday so it hasn't even cycled yet, but was wondering, would a 5 or 10 Gal tank be too small for a few seahorses (like 1-4 depending on tank size of course)? Also, what would idealistically be the best thing besides LS and LR for them to be happy?
Sheppie

cprdnick

When keeping sea horses, there should be no other inhabitants. They belong in a species only tank. For several reasons. First, they don't have much of a way to defend themselves, and second they cannot compete with fish when it comes to feeding.
Also, the best tank to put them in would be a taller than wide tank.
You will need some branches or something for them to wrap their tails around.
Low flow with a sponge filter maybe

cprdnick

I didn't necessarily mean that you had to keep them with their own kind, I knew about the sea dragons and pipefish, but I meant like, with a clown or a flame angel or some thing like that.

jscarb2

not trying to steal your post but my wife want me to do the same thing.i have a 29 that used to be my qt tank (never had copper in it)but i have all the fish i am getting plus i have a 90 that i can use to qt if i need to. i have some extra live rock it has a crp skimmer and a filter.i have a bunch of frags in there now.just tagging along to see what you need for seahorses trying to learn as much as possible before i say yes to doing this

cprdnick

If I'm not mistaken there is a forum strictly for seahorses and dragons, I don't remember what it's called though.