Sea horses...I've heard they are easier now?

gonefishn

So what are the chances these days, that a noob to marine aquariums can get a reef going and have sea horses? Are there any fish that are compatible with sea horses? Any good books that would be recommended to get some info on this subject would be welcome.

socer03dud

seahorses are not a good idea to have with other fish. They usually should be kept alone because they are very slow and therefor very slow to getting to the food, if there is other fish around they would starve

mbrands

There is a good thread that will tell you a lot about them in the "fish" forum. Try doing a search there.
My LFS keeps "pipefish" with their seahorses.

dreeves

Seahorses for the most part require "expert" level of care...I do not believe one should even consider that possibility until they can demonstrate to themselves an extremely stable tank...ideally they should only be kept with their own kind or similar...like pipefish...by no means is it accurate to say you cant keep them with fish...they live with other fish in the wild...therefore they can survive with them in the tank...cautions have to be adhered to with the other type of fish possibly being kept...

snipe

Searhorses are slow so in a tank they should be kept with similar fish so they will get some food. If they are kept with fast fish then they will most likely not get any food.
Your best bet is to search google for a compatibility chart.

mudplayerx

In my opinion, the only way to keep seahorses is in a tank by themselves. As others have said, they are so incredibly slow-moving that even the slowest-moving fish will eat all the food before they can get to it.
I don't think you can really even utilize powerheads with seahorses. If they don't get a chance to wrap their tails around something, the current would blow them all over the tank.
This last part is totally opinionated, but I really do not see the point of keeping seahorses. They are totally inactive, sometimes sitting motionless for hours and hours.

snipe

This last part is totally opinionated
I would deffinatly say it is opiniunated lol. If I could afford them I would have them but when your talking $30 To $100+ dallors a peice for 1 fish it is just out of my price range lol.

mudplayerx

Pick up any copy of "Boy's Life" magazine, the magazine for Boy Scouts of America. In the back of the magazine is a few pages of small-print advertisements. You can get a mated seahorse pair, and one is guaranteed to be pregnant.... all for $35.
:)

snipe

$35 is a pretty good deal. But some seahorses are converted to freshwater so you have to watch out on that. And the $35 and then they probly like ppl on that auction place and have $80 shipping and $40 insurance lol

jesatfis

if u live near a barns and noble ask them to order this book if they dont have it
saltwatter aquarium by Barons
the bar code should be780764 116377
it has a seahorse aquarium planagram in it

matt52

What about keeping it with a mandarin I see no harm in that mandarins are extremly peaceful I see no problem with that.
I have thought about starting a fuge form tank not for pods since my tank is virtually infested with them but to keep a mandarin and a couple of seahorses. I have always wanted one and after looking into it I see no reason why it wouldn't work but people have there opinons.

snipe

I dont know if it would work or not I know manderins eat "only" pods but I dont know if seahorses eat them or not.