SeaClear System II Aquariums - any thoughts?

makofury

Hey everyone, I've had really bad luck with my current 65 gallon setup, it is a BioReef tank with an overflow. One of my friends had a SeaClear System II 75 gallon and it was one of the best looking tanks I had ever seen, in terms of livestock and also there were no wires or any visible plumbing. Has anyone heard good or bad things about these System II's. I really want a 125 gallon System II (Cobalt Blue) background. I just think it's nice not having to deal with plumbing and such in a FO tank. Thanks.
Here's the link to the manufacturer: http://www.casco-group.com/index.htm...clearhome.html
MakoFury

wallda

Hey I just checked out there website and they are indeed very nice looking tanks. I have always loved aceylic tanks (I have been studying them so someday I can make my own). They looked great for many/all applications. The only thing that caught my attention was the lighting issue with there hoods. Because they are ABS plastic they can/will melt! You might want to think about how you want to about this and plan ahead. Will you hang your lights or mount them in the hood? Do you want halide or PC? I would call a rep from the company and talk with them. Tell them what you want, and tell them ALL of your goals and expectations with resepect to your tank.
Just my .02
Daniel :)

skimmedout

I have a 26gal system II. The major disadvantage is the loss of real estate in the tank. As long as you stick with the wet/dry system of the bioballs, its a nice tank. But if you want some other system like a sump or refugium, then its a problem. It has a chamber for an optional air-stone skimmer, but its just ok. The major problem is that you can't really add anything to the system. I wouldn't recommend it for a reef, but it would be a very nice FO tank.

C

coralbeauty

I have a 75 gallon seaclear system II set up as a full reef. It has its good point and its downsides. I have removed the bio-balls and I turned the "back" portion into a lighted refugium and sump. I also keep my heater, UV sterilizer and skimmer in the back portion. You are correct that the only equipment you see are the powerheads which are connected to the wavemaker. I also have them well hidden in the rock. It is a very nice looking tank!
The spraybar in the back is a pain since it is too low and it will not allow me to have a 5 inch DBS in the back. It is only about 2 inches in the back of the tank and 5 inch in all other areas. I also do not like acrylic tanks. My other two are glass and the next tank I get will be glass. Regardless of how careful I am, I still scratch. (You can remove scratches, it is just a pain to do!)
I also wish that I had a regular sump which is larger. However, everytime I read a post about a sump malfunctioning and water everywhere, I do not feel so bad about my set up.
In terms of price, I purchased this system used, at a Garage Sale. The price was right - $75 for a tank and well finished wooden stand and hood!
Connie