Seaclone skimmer question

volitan

SWF do not sell Seaclone skimmers (at least I didn't see any listed in the dry goods section). Where can I go online to get a good price on one. Also, I was checking out some of the skimmers here on the SWF site, what do you guys think about the Prizm skimmer they have there? The caption says that it "outperforms all others". I like the slimline hangon style. Is it a pretty good skimmer? What do you guys think?

I hear seaclones are crap. I have a prizm on my 55g, and it works pretty good for the money, nice dark skimmate, and chunky too. :D <a href="http://www.bigalsonline.com" target="_blank">www.bigalsonline.com</a> has good prices. They will match any online price on any item they carry.

nm reef

I've used a CPR bacpac2r and really like its performance(its currently on my fo community system)...I have heard mostly good things about the Prism skimmer. They seem to perform well. The seaclone issue has been kicked around a lot....info I've seen idicates that they can be a pain and not very effective. There are numerous options out there.....plenty of makers and types. Primary concern would be reputation/performance/quality/customer service.....tough choice to make with all the available options out there....whats the size of the system you plan to add this too? In the future I'm looking at about a 220 reef and I may go with a sump and a berlin skimmer(rated for 200 plus gals).

volitan

NM Reef, I have a 75 gallon reef with a cc bed, 115 pounds of lr, Emperor 400, Penguin 180 (from the 35 gallon fw tank I downed). I would love to add a sump, but the biggest tank I could fit halfway comfortably into my stand would be a 15 gallon. I've been told thats not big enough for an adequate sump. You're right about the skimmer decision. It seems that every time I post about a skimmer I've heard good things about, a ton of people reply bashing it. Thanks for the reply!

deucey

Well i can say i have a seclone on my 36g bow and it works very well....though i had to modify it to achieve this level of sucess....but i also have the older model so i am sure you would be getting the newer one if you buy a brand new one...i also have mine set up as and in sump unit submerged...so that i hear makes it work better also....so if you are looking for a hang in i would go with the CPR-backpack or the prism....keep in mind that the prism may not work insump if your water level is not high enough.....i think that over all the seaclone is as good as the prism.....both have there pros and cons.....i have seen them both work first hand and i have to say i would go with the seaclone...with one or two mods......hehe....good luck!!

deucey

well i have just seen your post about you haveing a 75g tank.....so personally i would not go with either the seaclone or the prism with that size tank....i would start looking in to berlin turbos hang on...something of that nature.....and hey check out ----.....tons of stuff on there last time i looked......you can get a good deal...but don't get caught in a bid war!! Good luck!

deucey

Well i personally would not run a seaclone on anything bigger than a 55....and the same for the prism.....i just don't think that they have the capasity to efficienty skim a tank that size thats all.....i guess its really a matter of personal preference and you tank set up ... ie..amound and quality of live rock, sand, that type of stuff!
Oh hey i don't think that i metioned that i felt that the CPR-Backpack would work well on a 75, but i do...IMHO..... :D

deucey

oh yeah about the berlin skimmer ....i just know that these are good skimmers know alot of ppl that have them and if i had room that is what i would have.....but the floater version...no the hang on.....but hey still its a matter of opinion...i guess the main thing is i just didn't think that the seaclone or prism would efficienty skim a 75!

mini-reefer

I've got a seaclone on a 29 fo and I have never liked it. I've also got an amiracle SL-5 on a 34 gallon soft coral reef, its alright I guess. I'm curing rock in a new 72 right now and using an in-sump Berlin turbo. Its great! Very quite, easy to adjust and it pulls out lots of crap. It also came with the turbo pump designed for it. Spend the money once and buy a better quality skimmer. Trust me, I've learned the hard way. Just MHO.
Mini-Reefer

deucey

like i said my seaclone works great but i have modified it but the new models don't need but one mod and that is to replace the factory air adjustment valve with a good quality one......but i would still go with the berlin hanging turbo if i were you just because you have a 75g tank...check ----!

jond

I have a Seaclone, and have great success with it. I have a newer model, and I think most of the negative post are from older models. They also just released new models again. They now have a Seaclone 150 which is a bigger skimmer rated for tanks up to 150 gal. I also think the Prizm is a good unit, just be careful if you have a canopy, they stand tall.

oneflysi

i have a seaclone and no problems whatsoever. i have never had any other skimmer to compare it to, but i have to empty the cup once a week from all the stuff it pulls out. btw, they do stand tall, but my canopy doesn't get in the way because the skimmer is far enough off the back.
and its funny how someone above said they have heard nothing but negative about seaclones...cause thats all i've heard about prizms :) the only thing good i have heard about prizms is their small, compact size.
either way i think you'll be fine IMO.
good luck! ;)
-One
here is a shot of mine when i first put it on my tank:

looks like a damn skyscraper :)