Seahorse declining

rykna

I thought Valiant was getting better, but as of last night I do not think he will last long. He would not eat dinner.

I cannot say if it was because I fed him at lunch time or if he has lost the battle with his illness. I will feed him shortly. But from his current health status...I do not expect him to last much longer.

rykna

No. Just sits on the bottom...breathing hard. I checked the tank levels, they're fine. When he does swim, it mostly a indirect stumble. He wasn't out this morning, just sitting upright on the bottom in the corner.

darthtang aw

Ok, this is thge hard part...Just keep an eye on him from here on out...he has most likely reacted badly to being placed in the display. Usually they will do real good when put back at first then 24 hours later they decline. The neosporin type medication you used may have just eased his pain but didn't help heal him much...I believe. I would have liked to have seen him in the QT a bit longer and treatment continued.
With seahorse patience is the key, even to mending ailments..I feel your display tank still may have soime parasites in it and the QT while depressing him was actually benefiting him from a health aspect. At this point though I would soak his food in the garlic and Selcon to help him strengthen up but I would NOT move him again....

rykna

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
Ok, this is thge hard part...Just keep an eye on him from here on out...he has most likely reacted badly to being placed in the display. Usually they will do real good when put back at first then 24 hours later they decline. The neosporin type medication you used may have just eased his pain but didn't help heal him much...I believe. I would have liked to have seen him in the QT a bit longer and treatment continued.
With seahorse patience is the key, even to mending ailments..I feel your display tank still may have soime parasites in it and the QT while depressing him was actually benefiting him from a health aspect. At this point though I would soak his food in the garlic and Selcon to help him
strengthen up but I would NOT move him again....
I'm using the garlic and selcon
have been for the last 4 days...
I have different opnions regarding the QT, but I hear what you're saying.
His pouch is fine. Not protruding...not bloated.

darthtang aw

Your QT...had it been set up for a longtimne or was it recently set up?
Good to hear about the pouch..just sit and wait...this is the hardest part..he mnay still come out of it.

rykna

Your QT...had it been set up for a longtimne or was it recently set up?
Good to hear about the pouch..just sit and wait...this is the hardest part..he mnay still come out of it.
I set the QT up when I needed it. But with out a LR or LS there is nothing to cycle the take with...so why leave it running....this is one reason why I have never kept a QT.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by Rykna
I set the QT up when I needed it. But with out a LR or LS there is nothing to cycle the take with...so why leave it running....this is one reason why I have never kept a QT.
I used to have your same mindset an thought process when I first started out in saltwater. However. I changed that after a while. Leave your QT set up...place a few fake rocks and plants in it. The bacteria needed in the aquarium will grow and live on these items not to mention the glass. Start your QT all over again and send it through a cycle with a dead shrimp. Your filter will also harness bacteria needed. You will have better luck with QT and treatemnts by doing this. It may seem like a waste of time and space but in the long run there is something about having a set up and established QT. Especially since I recomend seahorses do not go into any tank that has not been set up and cycled no less than 6 months prior.
Each time you have to treat start the tank all over when it is finished with completely new water. and recycle it again. This may have been why it seemed like Valiant wasn't doing so well...With that said, their are just some things that seahorses won't comeback from...but doing this makes the margin of success that much bigger. Just my opinion and I have no scientific data to back me up at this point, just my experience.

rykna

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. Valiant past away last night. Most people wouldn't blink and eye on the death of a fish, but I am very thankful to be surrounded by those who do.
Valiant has given me a mission. I am going to research and document the most common diseases of seahorses and pipe fish. I am going to compile a list of parasites/diseases, medications, what they treat and what is in them. Also I am going to research and post tank set ups, water quality etc., and what to do to prevent an out break, like I had in my tank. I'd also am going to research and post how to set up and maintain a QT.
I have also thought of the name for my next seahorse, "Justice".
Thank you all,
Rykna

tx reef

Sorry for your loss.
The first fish I ever bought was an Ocellaris Clownfish. If it died, I believe I would cry......

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by Rykna
Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. Valiant past away last night. Most people wouldn't blink and eye on the death of a fish, but I am very thankful to be surrounded by those who do.
Valiant has given me a mission. I am going to research and document the most common diseases of seahorses and pipe fish. I am going to compile a list of parasites/diseases, medications, what they treat and what is in them. Also I am going to research and post tank set ups, water quality etc., and what to do to prevent an out break, like I had in my tank. I'd also am going to research and post how to set up and maintain a QT.
I have also thought of the name for my next seahorse, "Justice".
Thank you all,
Rykna

Rykna, if you need help with this feel free to ask me anything and my experiences.

rykna

Rykna, if you need help with this feel free to ask me anything and my experiences.
I will deffinately take you up on that
and any one else who wants to contribute info/experiences with horses will be most welcome to contribute.

monalisa

Ryk,
Well, you know. I just don't know what else to say. You sure gave Valiant a running chance with his illness, and I pat you on the back for that and give you a great big hug. I will be watching for what you find in your research...and I know that you'll make good on that declaration.
Will you also be researching from experience? I know that it's really soon, but are there other horses in your near future?
Again, I feel your loss and am very saddened by Valiant's passing.
Lisa...

crossan

Sorry to hear about your seahorse. With you deciding to research about seahorses and their sickness would be a great idea for the memory of your horse and to help the future group who will have them soon!!!

monalisa

Ryk, did you ever find out what kind of illness Valiant had? Is there a name to give this monster? causes? preventions? Now I'm concerned.
Lisa...